Chapter Nineteen

Abigail was sitting at the edge of his bed, in a white nightgown. She laughed and kissed his forehead. There was a ring on her finger, and Matt assumed that had been put there by him. She had her hair loose, and the brown locks spilled down onto the bed. Matt longed to run his hands through that hair, but before he could move, Abigail disappeared into a flash of white light. He felt darkness pressing in, and the world around him turned red. Matt heard someone laughing as the darkness pressed further. The cause of the laughter pulled a golden dagger on him, and Matt felt sweat trickle down his skin as the box of sin closed itself.

"Matt! Matt! Wake up! You're dreaming!" Matt felt someone shake his shoulders, and he sat up in a cold sweat. Abigail sat like a queen on the edge of his bed, and Matt was not sure if he was dreaming or not anymore. He grabbed the glass of water beside him, and poured the contents onto himself, fully awakening him.

"What happened?"
"Well, after you injured Sir Griffin, you started swooning, and you looked up at me with such fear, I thought you would die right there. Matt, you also hit your head on the way down, and that caused a minor concussion. You are healing now, but you are told not to move from this bed for three days. I was told to be your nurse." There was something different in Abigail's eyes. It was nor love or kindness. A cold, hard stare replaced her normal expression of happiness.

"What's wrong?"
"Are you seeing someone?"
"Yes."
Abigail bristled, and she very nearly walked out the door. "It's you. Why would I be seeing anybody else?"
Abigail feigned surprise. "What?"
"I am courting you, Abigail Everett. If you do not like it, I could pursue other options."

Abigail pursed her lips and forced a smile. "Well, if you insist..."
"I'm not forcing you into anything without your permission."

Abigail's eyes narrowed, and she stalked out. Matt wondered what he'd said. Surely women were not this hard to please. What had happened in the two days? She went from being an easy-going and happy woman to be a grouchy, surly lady. Was she being mistreated?
"Abigail! What did I say? What did I do?"

There was no answer. Matt buried his face in his hands and wept. He felt weak, abandoned, hurt, and sad that Abigail would leave him like that.

~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~

Abigail ran out the door. Her emotions were running too high, and she did not like that. She was indeed angry with Matt, but something inside her sensed the truth. Abi did not know what to do about it. She could not deny that she liked him, but there was something else. Whenever Abigail and Matt had kissed or given into the other's will was when either of them was under pressure and hurt. The kiss in the woods was proof of that. Abigail had almost blacked out, and Matt was there. Abi felt a ghost pain in her sides and checked for scars. The scars were there, bright red and painful, like the memories. Abigail leaned on the wall outside the door, and she heard Matt weeping. Abigail wondered if she was the cause or if something else was bothering him. She leaned into the door, trying to hear his clear voice.

"Why did Abigail stoop so low? I would never see anyone but her, especially now. I near begged her father to give us permission, and this is what I get? Poor woman. She has no idea what she has lost." Matt gave a harsh laugh at this.

~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~

Matt knew he had raised his voice loud enough when he heard timid footsteps by the door. Matt had the impression that Abigail did not know about his chest injury because she threw her arms around him. Matt stifled a groan and Abigail took a step back.

"What hurts?"
"My ribs. I got told Sir Griffin bruised them when he cut into my waist. I was told of a minor concussion, as well. Did you not tell me that?"
Abigail paled and stepped closer, her gaze back to their beautiful and normal way. She gazed deep into his eyes, and Matt fought the urge to shrink back. This girl was fierce, and Matt smiled.

"What? Did I do something against your will, Matthew?"
"Stop calling me Matthew. You know I prefer Matt."

Abi laughed and inched closer, her eyes pulling him in. Her expression said that she knew of the reaction she was getting and that she enjoyed it.

Matt reached up to play with her hair, which was thrown into a singular braid; nothing like the styled hair she once had. The first time I saw her, her hair was curled and arranged like a princess'. No wonder we call her Princess. "So, Princess, how do you feel working like a peasant?"
"I enjoy the work. I work half-days with Mistress Alexia and the other half being a nanny to Riley and Christian. Emily likes to sit around when I read to the boys, and I sometimes find her hiding when I play with them."
"Em's always needed attention to sustain a healthy life. I think I was four when she was born, so you would have been there, as well. I think we were laughing and playing castle with Tay."
"Yes, I remember that day fondly. It was the day I was the peasant girl who helped you rescue the princess. It was fun to watch Tay hug you."
Matt chuckled. He'd tried hard to forget the beautiful girl who had played with him as a young boy. Now Matt saw that same woman a lot now, but she was smarter and had more life experience being a princess.

"I was always afraid of Tay's hugs. I loved yours though. You were always so gentle and did not wish to hurt anyone."
"I do not remember that. Should we relive memories with Papa tomorrow? He is coming in to check on you and your progress, and I can come in later."
"Sure. I loved my childhood. It steadily increased after you left, though."
"Ha, ha."
Abigail's eyes were bright and full of joy, Matt tried to still the emotions running through him, but he could not. Matt hated to admit it, but Abigail had a pleasing effect on him, and he tried not to show it. Matt had a way of realizing something bad in a good situation, and it happened now.

"Abigail, what did your uncle do after the second obstacle?"
"He walked up to us, and I shrunk back with the children. King Charlie said he would not hurt us, and at that moment, he apologized for any harm he was causing us. He directed that last sentence at me, and he apologized right away for making you go into this. He said that he knew you and I were courting, and he saw my expression when you fell unconscious."
"What was it?"
"I was terrified. I screamed and let go of Christian's hand in order to get to you. I quickly handed Riley to Lady Potter and ran down as the healers put you on a stretcher. You scared ten years off my life! Never do that again!"
Matt felt a little bad for causing so much panic, but he remembered Abigail's hip, arm and throat injury. "How are you doing? Does your waist, arm or throat hurt you?"
"Sometimes when I cry my throat clenches up and I cannot speak, and the scars on my arm and waist occasionally pain me, but I usually drink something to take the pain away."

Matt allowed his jaw to drop. Women do not complain about pain unless they are not used to it. Matt thought Abigail would be complaining about her pain from injuries all the time. Yet again that girl had proved him wrong. Matt wondered how many times that would happen.

"Does it hurt a lot? You should talk to Miss Sara."
Abigail shrugged. "If I spoke to her about how much it hurt, that would take up a lot of my day. I will, however, speak with her about my throat. I have been crying since I heard the rumours."
"What rumours, Abigail? Are you keeping something from me?"
"'Tis a rumour that you are seeing someone either than me. A lot of people are speaking of it, and I get asked questions sometimes."

Matt felt his own throat close up, and he tried to move from the bed. Abigail put her hands on his shoulders and pushed him down. He tried to get up again, but this time she forced him down by pushing on his chest. She trembled, and Matt worried.

"Are you cold?"
"I am just fine, Matt. Do not worry." Her eyes held worry, and Matt wanted to kiss it away. She sighed, and sat down again, this time beside him. Matt sat up, enveloped her in his arms, and kissed her soundly. Abigail melted against him, and he deepened his kiss. Matt felt Abi fight him to make the kiss easier, and he obliged. Matt did not want Abigail to think of him as a rogue. As soon as he did that, Matt let her go. Abigail smiled, but no sooner did her smile falter. She grimaced, and when Matt tried to put an arm around her, she moved away.

"What do you get out of this?"
"What???" Matt could not believe his ears.
"I said, what do you get out of this?"
"I heard you. I just have no idea what you mean."

"Our relationship feels nothing but fake. Whenever we have kissed or done anything like that was to either please someone or because the other was hurt. In the woods, my waist was hurt. Now, because you are hurting. The only reason we are together is that someone keeps getting hurt. I'm stopping this matter altogether. Matt, I am not courting you anymore."