Chapter 7

-Addison-

We sit down at a small table by the restrooms with snack cakes and two cups of hot tea. This man, this creature... Gabriel... will not keep his eyes off me. I don't feel him in my head, I've not heard him in that way, and he's not being... the same kind of control freak he's been. No sudden advances or outbursts. Just those piercing silver eyes sizing me up, always cold and glaring. Of course I can't look at him for long. Every time I do, traumatizing memories come back and begin to nauseate me.

But in the midst of these things resurfacing, there is one thing I don't understand.

I don't feel like running.

I'm not afraid like I should be.

My stomach is still in that knot, but all other instincts feel like they've been shut off. Hell, I know something more horrible was going on in my mind before we got out of that car. He was holding my hand. He was squeezing it -- not like in hatred, but in a kind of... supporting way. Him, supportive -- that's like a term never invented. Or was he fooling me again?

"Why would you know everything about me...? You've seen my childhood memories, the little stupid things I think about, obviously how I like my tea -- since you ordered that for me before I could speak -- what I went through in that..." I stop myself before the name could even slip past my lips. With a shuddering disgusted breath, I bring the cup up to my mouth, looking up at him again. The way I do it, I didn't realize it's almost like I care what expression he's making. He tortures me in so many unimaginable ways. I should be running, but I know I can't -- without dying, anyway.

I find he's biting his thumbnail, blinking softly as if drunk on the sight of me.

This renders me speechless and uneasy again. We're in a public setting. He can't be doing this now.

"Everything... Yes my kitten, I know everything about you." he murmurs as I sit stiffly back in my chair, briefly glancing at the rest of the people in the shop.

Why do you call me that, you bastard. I hate it! I hate these stupid psychotic games.

"I call you that because you're little, helpless, and cute like one." he grins slowly, his eyes remaining the same demon-like orbs of madness.

"I am not helpless... You know that." I see the through gritted teeth. "You watch. One of these days, I'm going to hack your dick off and shove it down your throat. See how cute I am then."

"Ohh baby..." He simpers darkly, and fishes out his pack of cigarettes and lighter. "You love to watch me scream and double over in pain." he finishes lighting a cigarette, takes a puff and wiggles his eyebrows, "See, that's what I'm talking about."

As he chuckles deep and quietly, I think yeah, yeah you go ahead and act like you're enjoying yourself.

I put the napkin down on the table, leaning closer, "Don't we have something more important to discuss? What about... Jack?"

He suddenly slams his hand down on mine, making me jump.

"I'd love to see you do it... I'd love to see you drag a knife through my skin, to break my bones, or even dismember me. No one I've taken any liking to has ever done it. Not even Jack."

I stare at him without blinking, feeling my skin beginning to crawl while he speaks. The things he's saying are throwing images to the center of my mind again. The shop is starting to seem louder. Everything is heating up. My heart is beating quicker.

Immediately, I shoot up from the table, "Stop!" and I accidentally back into the wall, hitting my head against it and getting a wave of pain.

He blinks calmly at me and rests back in his seat, watching me wincingly hold my head and trying to relax my breathing.

"This is why you can't work yet." He stands up and takes my arm.

"Get off me!" I shove him away and notice a few people are standing around now like curious sheep waiting for something else to happen.

Before he can grab me again, I gather my trash and toss it all in the garbage, snatch my tea and then make my way outside.

I can't go on like this. I really am better off dead. I would be giving up on my family and friends, but maybe they would understand... if they considered what it's like in my shoes.

I have to do something before he makes a final decision about us moving. I don't understand why he didn't say anymore about the situation between us and Jack while we were sitting down for breakfast. Did he think he said too much to me already? I want to know, yet I also feel like it's better staying out of it. Either way though, I know I'm damned both ways.

"Addison."

Shit, here he comes.

I look over and he comes up to me in just a few heavy steps. He's too close. Much too close. I back up and he grabs my wrist tightly. I yank it, "Let go, Gabriel!" He looks into both of my eyes and suddenly lunges forward. I shriek and feel his cool breath on my ear as he starts whispering, "I've made a decision... A quiet place we can go. Sorry to tell you this, Addison, but you won't be meeting that family any time soon... Jack would know to find us there."

A few men and women are walking past, eyeing us oddly. One guy finds amusement in this and I want to go off on him, but I roll my eyes and shut them.

"Where are we going...?" I try to keep a gentle, agreeing type of voice.

"We'll go to Florida. There are plenty of places to go in Florida and he wouldn't suspect it." He releases my wrist and wraps his arms around me into a firm hug, taking me more by surprise and also putting me in a state of horror. He's becoming more and more unpredictable. Florida is my home state. We can't go there!

I know he can sense how I'm feeling. His grip on me is getting tighter and I can tell he's entertained by the way his breathing slightly changed.

I dare not say a word.

He then steps back and away without looking at me. "Ready to go home?"

My glassy gaze locked on the ground, worried and terrified, I muster a quiet "yeah... yeah I'm ready".