Chapter Ten

At school it's lunch time and the usual four are sat together, Lily and Ryder on one side of the table, Tristan and Casey the other.

"Ry, you not getting any lunch?" Tristan asks noticing he's the only one without food.

"Not with you guys today, I'm just waiting for Maz to get out of class and meet me." Ryder replies.

"Why not meet her outside her class?" Lily questions without looking at Ryder.

"Why do you have a problem with her?" Ryder asks.

"I don't," Lily looks at him but then notices something, "speak of the devil."

"Hey Guys, you mind if I take him, he promised me a lunch date." Maisy asks as she reaches the table, Ryder turns to give Maisy a smile.

"He's all yours." Casey replies with a huge smile.

"Oh, before I go. Lily practice is cancelled for today." Maisy tells Lily who doesn't even look up. Ryder decides payback is in order so he kicks her ankle under the table, Lily glares at him and he glares back.

"Thank you so much for telling me Maisy." Lily says as she breaks away from the glare and looks directly at Maisy with a fake smile on her face. Ryder stands up as Lily rubs on her ankle to sooth the pain.

Nobody says anything as both Ryder and Maisy walk away from the table.

"Ass." Lily mutters glaring at the backs of  them.

"So, what's the plan for after school? You coming to the diner tonight Lil's or have you already got something planned with mystery guy." Casey teases Lily.

"Who's mystery guy?" Tristan asks.

"She makes it sound more than it is, some guy named Zion recommended me a book in the library yesterday, that's it." Lily answers eating some more of her lunch.

"You said you felt intrigued." Casey states.

"About the book." Lily pushes.

"Now I totally get it, he interested you so you told Casey." Tristan smiles.

"That'll be the last thing I tell her from now on," Lily tells Tristan but looks at Casey, "I'm up for the diner, haven't had one since I've been back, I'm gonna guess Ryder's coming?"

"Probably will, I've been roped into extra study so I won't be able to take you guys until after, so wherever you go we'll pick you up." Tristan responds.

"That's cool, I can meet up with some girls at the park, you wanna come Lils?" Casey asks smirking at Lily.

"I will, but you can talk to your girls, and I'll find a nice place to read my book." Lily smirks back.

"You won't be able to avoid giving her the details for long you know Lils. This is just the beginning if it's anything like the first time I told her about a guy." Tristan points out.

"It isn't like that, so I'll be fine." Lily puts both of them straight.

***

Back at the hospital Mason is in the room with Cathy. The two of them are looking at the body.

"So you have no idea how she died?" Mason asks.

"There is barely any evidence on her, and it's contradicting." Cathy confirms.

"she's a young girl... she have any history of diseases?" Mason asks.

"Completely healthy teenage girl." Cathy answers.

"Basically what you're telling me is that she just dropped dead, no cause?" Mason asks, knowing this is gonna end up like all the others.

"To most, that's what they see. But if you look here..." Cathy points towards the neck, "there's small scratch marks like she was trying to claw something out her throat..."