Vincent & The Doctor Pt. 3

The Doctor and {Y/N} start hunting through chests on the TARDIS.

"Right. You in here somewhere? I can't apologise enough. I thought you were just a useless gadget. I thought you were just an embarrassing present from a dull godmother with two heads and bad breath. Twice. How wrong can a man be?" the Doctor says.

"Ooo" {Y/N} finds a gizmo with a rear-view mirror fastened to the top and plugs it into the console without answering the Doctor. It powers up and the Doctor stands in front of it and sticks his tongue out. The mirror lights up with Match Found Print Ready. It prints off a picture of William Hartnell, then the mirror changes to Patrick Troughton.

"Good. Ok, you're working. Now, see what you make of this. Who is that?" the Doctor asks as he holds up the sketch of the monster. Ding. Match found print ready. A macaw.

"No, we know it's not that. There are thousands of them and you can see them plain as day" {Y/N} says, a polar bear.

"No. Definitely not. This is the problem with the impressionists. Not accurate enough. This would never happen with Gainsborough or one of those proper painters. Sorry, Vincent. You will just have to draw something better" the Doctor mutters walking off, {Y/N} stands at the console for a moment playing with the box Amy's engagement ring was in, the Doctor notices and walks back over placing a hand on her shoulder "what are you thinking about?"

"Nothing" she turns leans up placing her lips on his, he wraps his arms around her and pulls her into him, a short time later they leave the TARDIS, the Doctor is wearing the gizmo on his chest, with the rear-view mirror looking over his right shoulder. An image of the beast appears in it.

"That's better, old girl. Time delay, but you always get it right in the end. Good. Let's find out who this is, then. Well, well, there you are" {Y/N} looks at the mirror and reads

"Krafayis. Planet of origin uncertain. Nomadic pack animals. Strict dominance hierarchy. Huge territories, several solar systems-wide. Preferred habitat: Planets with oxygen and nitrogen-based atmospheres" {Y/N} says.

"Oh, you poor thing. You brutal, murderous, abandoned thing. I hope we meet again soon so I can take you home" the Doctor says, they look in the mirror again and realises it is right behind them.

"Maybe not that soon" {Y/N} says as they run, it chases them, only visible in the mirror. The Doctor and {Y/N} try scattering benches and other objects to slow it down.

"Take that, and that!" the Doctor shouts as he knocks down a basket, eventually it leaves. The Doctor looks around the corner and jumps back into {Y/N} "never do that! You scared the living daylights out of me" the Doctor breaths as he clutches his chest.

"Sorry, I got bored. As much as you admire his command of colour and shape, it is hard to get fond of Vincent Van Gogh's snoring" Amy says crossing her arms.

*Time Skip*

"Wake, wakey, rise, and shine! Breakfast is served in the courtyard. Whoa! What a morning. Come on. And Amy and {Y/N} have got a little surprise for you" the Doctor says as he pulls Vincent out of bed, in the courtyard Amy and {Y/N} sit chatting, Amy looks up.

"We thought we'd brighten things up to thank you for saving me last night," Amy says, lots of sunflowers in lots of pots are scattered around.

"Ah" Vincent nods.

"We thought you might like, you know, possibly to perhaps paint them or something? Might be a thought" {Y/N} says.

"Yes, well, they're not my favorite flower."

"You don't like sunflowers?" Amy asks.

"No, it's not that I don't like them. I find them complex. Always somewhere between living and dying. Half-human as they turn to the sun. A little disgusting. But, you know, they are a challenge."

"And one I'm pretty sure you'll rise to. But, moving on, there's something I need to show you" the Doctor says, gesturing for {Y/N} to follow, she runs after them, they enter the house and the Doctor pulls out the printout from the gizmo from his pocket.

"That's him. And the eyes, without mercy" Vincent says.

"This is a creature called the Krafayis. They travel in space. They travel as a pack, scavenging across the universe. And sometimes one of them gets left behind. And because they are a brutal race, the others never come back. So, dotted all around the universe are individual, utterly merciless, utterly abandoned Krafayis. And what they do is, well, kill, until they're killed. Which they usually aren't. Because other creatures can't see them" {Y/N} explains.

"But I can."

"Yes. And that's why we are in a unique position today, my friend, to end this reign of terror. So, feeling like painting the church today?" the Doctor asks.

"What about the monster?"

"Take my word for it. If you paint it, he will come" {Y/N} says.

"Ok. I'll get my things."

"In your own time. And I promise you, we'll be out of your hair by this time tomorrow" the Doctor says, Vincent goes into the other room.

"This is risky" {Y/N} says.

"Riskier than normal?" Amy asks.

"Well, think about it. This is the middle of Vincent Van Gogh's greatest year of painting. If we're not careful, the net result of our pleasant little trip will be the brutal murder of the greatest artist who ever lived. Half the pictures on the wall of the Musée d'Orsay will disappear. And it will be our fault" {Y/N} says shaking her head, a while later the Doctor knocks and enters along with {Y/N}. Vincent is lying face down on his little bed, crying.

"Vincent? Vincent! Vincent, can we help?" the Doctor asks.

"It's so clear you two cannot help. And when you leave, and everyone always leaves, I will be left once more with an empty heart and no hope" Vincent says, {Y/N} sits down on the bed placing her hand on Vincent's back.

"My experience is that there is, you know, surprisingly, always hope" {Y/N} says.

"Then your experience is incomplete. I know how it will end. And it will not end well."

"Come on. Come out. Come on, let's go outside."

"Get out! You get out. What are you doing here? What are you doing here?" {Y/N} stands and turns away.

"Very well. We'll leave. We'll leave you" with that the Doctor and {Y/N} walk out of Vincent's room.

"What's happening?" Amy asks.

"We're leaving. Everyone knows he's a delicate man. Just months from now he'll, he'll take his own life" the Doctor says.

"Don't say that. Please" Amy replies, the Doctor looks at the picture Prisoners Exercising.

"Come on. We have to do this on our own. Go to the church at the right time and hope the monster still turns up" the Doctor says, him, {Y/N} and Amy are about to leave when Vincent enters the room.

"I'm ready. Let's go."

---

~Bread 🍞