Vincent & The Doctor Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"What year?" the Doctor asks.

"1890. Less than a year before, before he killed himself."

"Thank you, sir. Very helpful indeed. Nice bow-tie. Bow-ties are cool" the Doctor says.

"Yours is very..."

"Oh, thank you. Keep telling them stuff. We need to go" {Y/N} says.

"What about the other pictures?" Amy asks.

"Art can wait. This is life and death. We need to talk to Vincent Van Gogh."

*Time skip*

Night. The TARDIS materialises in a narrow alley, scaring a cat.

"Right, so, here's the plan. We find Vincent and he leads us straight to the church and our nasty friend" the Doctor says.

"Easy peasy" Amy replies.

"Well, no. We suspect nothing will be easy with Mister Van Gogh. Now, he'll probably be in the local café. Sort of orangey light, chairs and tables outside" {Y/N} says, Amy looks in her exhibition guidebook.

"Like this?"

"That's the one."

"Or indeed like that" they all look up.

"Yeah, exactly like that" they walk up to the café.

"Good evening. Does the name Vincent Van Gogh ring a bell?" the Doctor asks.

"Don't mention that man to me" the manager stalks back inside.

"Excuse me. Do you know Vincent Van Gogh?"

"Unfortunately."

"Unfortunately?" Amy asks.

"He's drunk, he's mad and he never pays his bills," the waitress says.

"Good painter, though, eh?" the Doctor asks.

"Come on! Come on! One painting for one drink. That's not a bad deal" the manager leads his impecunious customer outside.

"It wouldn't be a bad deal if the painting were any good. I can't hang that up on my walls. It'd scare the customers half to death. It's bad enough having you in here in person, let alone looming over the customers day and night in a stupid hat. You pay money or you get out."

"I'll pay, if you like," the Doctor says smiling.

"What?" the manager asks.

"Well, if you like, I'll pay for the drink. Or I'll pay for the painting and you can use the money to pay for the drink" the Doctor says.

"Exactly who are you?"

"Oh, I'm new in town."

"Well, in that case, you don't know three things. One, I pay for my own drinks, thank you" Vincent laughs "two, no one ever buys any of my paintings or they would be laughed out of town. So, if you want to stay in town, I suggest you keep your cash to yourself. And three, your friend's cute" he points to Amy who stares wide-eyed "but you should keep your big nose out of other people's business. Come on, just one more drink. I'll pay tomorrow."

"No."

"Or, on the other hand, slightly more compassionately, yes?"

"Or, on the other hand, to protect my business from madmen, no."

"Or?"

"Oh look, just shut up, the pair of you. I would like a bottle of wine, please, which I will then share with whomever I choose" Amy says.

"That could be good."

"That's good by me."

"Good" the manager gives Vincent his Self-portrait with Straw Hat back and goes inside with Amy, {Y/N} and the Doctor follow. Later, at a table inside.

"That accent of yours. You from Holland like me?"

"Yes," the Doctor replies.

"No," Amy says.

"She means yes. So, start again. Hello, I'm the Doctor."

"I knew it!"

"Sorry?"

"My brother's always sending doctors, but you won't be able to help."

"Oh, no, not that kind of doctor. That's incredible, don't you think, Amy? {Y/N}?"

"Absolutely. One of my favorites" Amy says, {Y/N} nodding in agreement.

"One of my favorite what's? You've never seen my work before."

"Ah yes. One of my favorite paintings that I've ever seen, generally" Amy says.

"Then you can't have seen many paintings, then. I know it's terrible. It's the best I can do. Your hair's orange."

"Yes. So's yours."

"Yes. It was more orange, but now is, of course, less."

"So. Er, Vincent, painted any churches recently? Any churchy plans? Are churches, chapels, religiously stuff like that, something you'd like to get into? You know, fairly soon?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, there is one church I'm thinking of painting when the weather is right."

"That is very good news" an older woman runs in, screaming.

"She's been murdered! Help me!"

"That, on the other hand, isn't quite such good news. Come on, Amy, Doctor, Vincent!" {Y/N} says getting up.

---

~Bread 🍞