Chapter 4 - Struggle

Start from the beginning

Before me was both the oddest and most fascinating man I had ever seen. His dark hair was cropped close to the sides of his head, but at the crown, it was longer and curled in the most enticing way. Most men I knew had longer hair, the process of cutting often seen as unnecessary. Steel blue eyes observed my reaction, and a breathy gasp passed my lips followed by a flaming heat in my cheeks. Dark stubble peppered his cheeks, chin, and upper lip. Pushing the hood of his cloak back more, he drew my attention to his clothing which was strange indeed.

His cloak wasn't a cloak at all but some sort of hooded shirt. At first glance, everything looked like rags, but upon closer inspection, they weren't. Everything was a light, gauzy material, wrapped around him. I couldn't tell how much was tailored and how much was just wrappings. Maybe it was functional to keep the sun off and let his skin breathe. But it all gave him away as someone not from Chernibden or the surrounding villages.

"Who are you?" I breathed out in bemusement as if my gasp and blushing weren't embarrassing enough.

"Tobin. My name's Tobin, but I gather you mean a lot more than that." He flashed a smile to put me at ease, but it made my insides clench up. I needed to get out of here, away from this beautifully frightening man. My gut was telling me he may not be the same as those other men, but he had a danger all his own.

I gave him a half smile. He had never returned his hand to my arm, leaving it off to the side, hand out in an "I mean you no harm" gesture. Again, he was trying to persuade me that he was not a threat. Bad move.

Using my hunting instincts taught by my Dad, I raised my arm towards the one holding me and slashed down with my knife. The force not enough to do major damage but enough to draw blood. He let my arm go, hissing in pain as he grasped his bleeding wound. I didn't stick around. I blew past him, my shoulder clipping his side as I ran towards where I had left my pack. I could survive without it, but it would be a rough go. My mind raced as I plotted where to go once I grabbed my pack. I didn't want to cross the road where those other men had been, but I had to lose Tobin.

My pack was just ahead. I leaned over, preparing to grab the strap and fling it over my back. My arm reached out and my hand grazed the strap, but I was tackled from behind.

My body hit the ground hard, knocking the breath out of me. I could feel the weight of Tobin on top of me. I couldn't breathe with my chest smashed into the dirt, and I flailed my arms and legs while my heart raced. His weight disappeared briefly before he flipped me over, so we were now face to face. He clamped his dirt-covered hand over my mouth again and held his other hand to his ear.

My nostrils flared as breathing through my mouth was no longer an option. I got his message. He wouldn't hurt me, and my breathing became easier.

Shouting rang out. Men's voices. Whatever commotion I had caused had not gone unnoticed. Had I screamed? I couldn't remember. Tobin looked at me, removed his hand from my mouth, and placed one finger to his lips, our noses almost touching. I nodded. I wasn't sure of him, but I knew where I stood with the other men.

Then Tobin spread out some of the gauzy material wrapped around him, and he covered me as much as he could. Smart. The browns, greys, and greens of his garb would stand out far less than my blue shirt. I looked at my bag which was a few feet away. Though worn and dirty, it was still red. He reached into a pocket on his chest and removed another piece of material similar to what he was wearing. In a deft maneuver, he flung it over the pack, covering most of it.

The men were much closer now. I couldn't see anything except Tobin, his blue eyes searching mine and his chest heaving as much as mine. Footsteps crunched in the rock and gravel along the broken road. Too close.