f o r t u n e

_________

_________

What do people obtain by being so loud? Jeongguk thought, digging his hands deep into his hoodie.

It's like a disease or something, I swear to God.

His oversensitive ears, used to pick out the slightest ticking of the clock or the softest padded step on a carpet whenever he would be immersed in one of his vivacious wars with the canvas, detected a small girl squealing excitedly to her mother.

“Mommy! Mommy, I wanna go in there again! Maybe she'll tell me a different one this time!”

Her mother tugged gently on her hand. “Come on, love. One fortune is enough.”

Fortune?

Jeongguk stopped in his tracks and focused on the tent behind the duo.

“FORTUNE TELLER”
Real, Authentic, Thrilling
-----
What could be in store for you today?

it said on the front in bright purplish cursive.

Well, why not?

He had always wanted to try this out anyway.

Knocking twice on the pole outside the tent, he waited, until a spooky voice said, “Come in.”

The first thing Jeongguk noticed when he entered was the extreme lack of space. The second; the stifling heat. Third; the greyish fumes billowing everywhere.

Restraining the sudden urge to run out of there, he slowly advanced towards the huddled form of someone (he assumed it was the fortune teller) at one corner of a round table.

“Ah~” The form suddenly spoke. “So you have come here to know your future, no?”

Jeongguk gulped before uttering out, “My fortune actually, stupid autocorrect haha.”

He laughed nervously at his own lame joke.

Smartly, the latter chose to ignore it.

“Come, my child.” She beckoned him forward. “Sit here and peer into my orb. Tell me what you see.”

There was a translucent crystal sphere standing on a delicate looking golden support in the center of the round table.

Jeongguk peered into it, but all he could see was a distorted reflection of himself. Even distorted, he must admit, his jawline looked attractive.

“Well?”

“Um...I see....a dude.” He said, staring at his reflection.

The woman peered at him over the top of her spectacles, her golden piercings glinting in the dim light.

“A man? Is he handsome?” She asked.

Jeongguk admired his sharp jawline again.

“Yup.” He grinned. “Pretty darn good looking.”

The woman chuckled darkly. “Do you perhaps, have a love interest?”

“Not really.” Jeongguk replied. “Unless you count Brad Pitt. But let's be honest here, who doesn't love Brad Pitt?”

“Ah. Yes, yes. Oh yes, I can see your future clearly now.” The woman pressed two fingers to each temple, eyes shut tight as she concentrated.

“You shall.....”

“If you say ‘die’ I swear-”

“-find true love soon.”

Jeongguk blinked.

“Pfft, what?” He laughed slightly. “When?”

The woman let out a slight humming noise, eyes still shut.

“You shall meet him....” Her eyes flew open as she smacked the table surface, making Jeongguk jump slightly. “-today!”

Jeongguk wondered whether he should tell her all he saw was a reflection of himself in the crystal sphere, but decided against it.

“Okay. Um, can I go now?” He stood up.

“Can you?” The woman smirked evilly. “Is there an escape from fate itself?”

“Yeah no, bye.” Without a single backward glance, Jeongguk proceeded to get the hell out of there.

A/N; happy to report the essay test thingy went well

its so cold tho :(