Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Tabitha’s POV

                I woke up to a shut of the front door. I sat up and I tip toed to the window. I saw someone outside in a black hoodie and my eyes widened. It was 3:30am but I ran to Mom and Dad’s bedroom anyways. I opened the door and I ran to Dad and I shook Dad’s shoulder. He woke up slowly and looked over at me. “What’s up?” He said as he rubbed his eyes.

                “Someone was in the house.” I whispered as I pointed at the window. He stopped rubbing his eyes and he sat up and got out of bed. We walked into the hallway where we didn’t disturb Mom.

                “How do you know?” He asked.

                “I heard the front door shut and I went over to my window and I saw someone in a black hoodie on our lawn.” I said and he went downstairs. I followed and he turned on the lights. He looked around and he noticed a few things missing, the laptop, and two box full of classic records. I felt around my neck and my locket was still there. I had forgotten to take it off. It could have been stolen.

                Soon dad called the cops and they asked me for a description of what I saw of the man and all things related to that. I didn’t feel safe sleeping alone so Mom and Dad said I could sleep in there bed sense I helped them catch a robber. I fell asleep instantly in Dad’s arms, I always felt safe there.

                The next morning I got ready for school, as usual. I had breakfast and Dad dropped Luna, Hayden and I at school. We were sitting on the playground tower and Melanie came nearby. I made sure I was near a wall though and not an open part. “So Tabitha, I heard you like music, what kind?” She asked.

                “Alternative rock…” I said quietly.

                “So you listen to people screaming… that’s normal.” She said sarcastically.

                “Well it teaches me something, unlike your pop music.” I retorted.

                “My music doesn’t cause hearing problems.” She said. I could feel my body tense up and I could tell Hayden and Luna could too. “But it might be for the best, when you do deaf you don’t have to cry when you hear me talking to you.” She said smirking at me. She went down the slide and joined her little clique.

                I didn’t need Dad this time, I was brave, I sucked it up and I returned to Luna and Hayden. “Nice job dude.” Hayden said as I sighed, relieved

                “Yeah… but I think now she knows that I don’t care about the name calling she’s going to do something more extreme next- I know it.” I said as I ran a hand through my hair, something I picked up from dad.

                “But you never know, she’s pretty crafty.” Luna reminded me.

                “True...” Hayden sighed. The school bells rang and we all got up and went to Mrs. Prince’s class. We walked into class and we sat down in our usual seats. Soon Mrs. Prince sat up from her desk and began to speak.

                “Good Morning class, today our class will be getting cut short at 1:30 because we have an assembly, it’s a singer but I have no idea who it is.” She said as she reviewed some papers that she was holding in her hands. “Anyways so we will be going to that at 1:30 and then you leave from there.” She said.

                The class day before the assembly is pretty straightforward: I got called names, got shoved into a wall by “accident”, and was told that I should go rot in one of the 5th grade lockers. Yeah pretty good day.