Hungry Earth Pt. 2

"Is that what happened to Mo? Are they dead?" Mack asks.

"It's not quicksand. She didn't just sink. Something pulled her in. It wanted her" {Y/N} says.

"The ground wanted her?"

"You said the ground was dormant. Just a patch of earth, when you first saw it this morning. And the drill had been stopped" the Doctor says.

"That's right."

"But when you re-started the drill, the ground fought back" the Doctor continues.

"So, what, the ground wants to stop us drilling? Doctor, that is ridiculous."

"I'm not saying that and it's not ridiculous, I just don't think it's right. Oh, of course. It's bio-programming" the Doctor says looking at {Y/N}.

"What?" Nasreen asks.

"Bio-programming. Oh, it's clever. You use bio-signals to resonate the internal molecular structure of natural objects. It's mainly used in engineering and construction, mostly jungle planets, but that's way in the future and not here. What's it doing here?" {Y/N} asks.

"Sorry, did you just say jungle planets?"

"You're both not making any sense."

"Excuse me, we're making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up. The earth, the ground beneath our feet, was bio-programmed to attack" the Doctor says.

"Yeah, even if that were possible, which, by the way, it's not, why?"

"Stop your drilling. Ok, so we find whatever's doing the bio-programming, we can find Amy. We can get her back. Shush, shush, shush. Have I gone mad? I've gone mad" the Doctor says.

"Doctor."

"Shush, shush. Silence. Absolute silence. You've stopped the drill, right?" the Doctor asks.

"Yes."

"And you've only got the one drill?" {Y/N} asks.

"Yes."

"You're sure about that?"

"Yes."

"So, if you shut the drill down, why can I still hear drilling? It's under the ground" {Y/N} says walking over to the computer.

"That's not possible" {Y/N} sonics the computers nearby.

"Oh no, what, what are you doing?"

"Hacking into your records. Probe reports, samples, sensors" the Doctor says as {Y/N} types away on the computer.

"Good. Just unite the data, make it all one big conversation. Let's have a look. So, we are here and this is your drill hole. Twenty-one point zero zero nine kilometers. Well done" {Y/N} says.

"Thank you. It's taken us a long time."

"Why here, though? Why'd you drill on this site?" the Doctor asks.

"We found patches of grass in this area, containing trace minerals unseen in this country for twenty million years."

"The blue grass? Oh, Nasreen. Those trace minerals weren't X marking the spot, saying dig here. They were a warning. Stay away. Because while you've been drilling down, somebody else has been drilling up" {Y/N} says, the deep sensor readings resolve themselves on the screen.

"Oh, beautiful. A network of tunnels all the way down" the Doctor says.

"No, no, we've surveyed that area."

"You only saw what you went looking for" {Y/N} says.

"What are they?"

"Heat signals. Wait, dual readings, hot and cold, doesn't make sense. And now they're moving. Fast. How many people live nearby?" {Y/N} asks.