Chapter Forty Nine - Complications

Terni's Pov...

I was in the garden with Thistle and Thessa, It was not covered with lovely blossoms as it was in the summer, but there were no other people here, which made it ideal for a quiet stroll. "What do you think the babe will be?" Thessa asked, walking on my left.

"A boy. Though Nikhil disagrees" I said with a smile. Subconsciously, my hand went to my large stomach. "That is odd, for a man to want a daughter first" Thessa said, a soft smile adorning her features. 

"I told him that, but he said that he does not care. Son or daughter first, he would love them either way, and we could always have more children" I told her and she laughed. "When do you think Thorin and the others will be back?" Thistle asked, suddenly.

"Not for a while, why?" I asked softly and she looked up at me. "Honestly" she began, "I am worried about Aden" she continued and we both looked at her. "And what about your brothers?" Thessa asked, an almost playful smile on her face.

"I worry about them as well, but they know the sea, they have been on many raids too. But Aden has never left this land. What if something happens to him" she tried, a frown embedded into her features. "He will be fine" I tried to reassure her but she shook her head.

"How do you know for certain?" she questioned and I fell silent, I did not know for certain.

"I do not know...but I have faith in the gods" I told her and she sighed.

"You care a great deal about the boy, Aden" Thessa stated, as she resumed a slow walk ahead. I turn to see Thistle's face flush as she looked away from her mother. "I-I do care about him, mother" she stutter out, the blush on her face burning red.

I could not help the smile that slipped onto my face. "You and him seem to be good friends..." I started but purposely trailed off. "We are good friends, great friends in fact" she agreed, almost too quickly.

By now we had all continued to slowly stroll through the gardens. Turning to look at her I continued. "Maybe when he finds a girl he wishes to marry, he will let you meet her first" I teased and almost grinned when her shoulders tensed and her eyes suddenly narrowed at the thought.

"I am certain that whoever she is, she will be lovely" Thessa said, teasing her daughter. "Do not say that" Thistle said softly, her voice a whisper. "Say what, dear?" Thessa asked and I smirked. "I know it is selfish to say, but I do not want Aden to be with any other girl" Thistle murmured.

"Then who will you have him be with?" I asked, looking ahead, as we came to the exit of the garden. Thistle mumbled something. "What was that?" I asked, having not heard her clearly. "I want him to marry me" she said a bit louder this time.

"Why?" Thessa asked, stopping to look down at her daughter. "I-I love him" she said quietly, a pink tint coming to her cheeks after she said the words. "You two will make a lovely match" Thessa said and Thistle's eyes brightened almost immediately.

"Wait, you mean you are alright with us being together? Truly?!" she said, sounding almost too excited. "Why not, I have seen the way he looks at you" Thessa told the younger girl. "I have too" I chimed in. "It is the way Nikhil looks at Terni" Thessa said, causing both Thistle and I to blush at her words.

"Speaking of which, have you thought of a name for the little one?" Thessa asked, and I gave a small smile at the question. "Yes, I ha-" I started but was cut off by a sharp popping feeling in my lower belly. The feeling of something wet running down my legs followed it. 

My hand instantly went to my bloated stomach, as I felt a wave of pain wash over me. "By the gods" I cried out, doubling over. Thistle and Thessa looked at me, panic written over the younger girl's face, while her mother looked at me in confusion for a second before realizing what was happening.