Chapter Forty Six - Welcome Back

Thorin's Pov...

"What is the meaning of this, Sheela!" I hissed, my voice cold and hard. "Thorin, Sheela has lived here since you were a boy, this is her home" mother said, almost confused by my reaction to the other woman.

"She may have lived here once, but she was banished" I said, not taking my eyes off her. "What had she done to deserved banishment?" mother asked and Thrain stepped forward. "She had Valin wrongfully beaten, when we had gone to a treaty signing, mother" Thrain told her and she looked at Valin before looking at me.

"Come, we will discuss this in private" mother said and I sheathed my weapon. "Bring her" I ordered and two of my men grabbed Sheela and pushed her behind my brothers and I as we made our way to my den.

Once in the privacy of the secured room, the men left and I took a seat, pulling Valin to sit on my lap. My brothers stood in front of my desk, mother stood in the middle of the room with Sheela a few feet behind her.

"Why did you come back here, Sheela?" I asked, my voice far from welcoming. "I met you mother on her journey and she allowed me to join her. When she was returning here, she told me to come with her" she rushed out and my eyes narrowed.

"But were you not told, that if you come back here, Thorin will take your head?" Valin piped up, her tone as unfriendly as I have ever heard it. "I-I" she stuttered, unsure of how to defend her actions.

"You had me beaten, mercilessly. And for what? Because I bumped into you!?" Valin practically growled at her. Her emerald eyes shone with angry tears, the rage hidden in their depths was evident. 

"I only wanted to teach you, your place, at the time" Sheela said, as if it would help her situation. Valin scoffed at her response. "Well I am Lady of this house now. Should I repay you for that lesson by teaching you, your place?" Valin asked, glaring across the room.

Just the mention of a whipping had the older woman trembling. "All of you stop this at once" mother almost shouted, causing all eyes to turn to her. "I know Sheela has done some questionable things, but I believe everyone deserves a second chance. A chance to prove that they can change" she said, her voice even.

"Should I just allow this woman to walk freely around my house, mother? Near my wife?!" I asked, my tone incredulous. Mother sighed and shook her head. "It is clear that you do not want her here, but I wish to allow her another chance to prove herself. She does not need to have a commanding position in this house, a servant would do" mother rattled out and I sighed.

This was something that always annoyed me about my mother, no matter how much I loved her. She always wished to see the good in everyone, no matter their crimes. I looked at Valin and she looked back at me. 

Her eyes spoke volumes, she did not like the thought of Sheela even being in the same village as her, let alone the same house. "Are you willing to oblige my mother?" I asked her quietly and she sighed. I knew she wanted to say no.

She suddenly got to her feet and walked towards the door. Opening it, she stepped one foot out of the threshold, before turning back to look at Sheela. "Fine, you can stay. But I am warning you, set even a toe out of line and I will separate your head from your shoulders, myself" she threatened before walking out, the door slamming behind her.

"Well, you heard her" Thrain said, as he and Thror moved to leave the room. "Thrain, send Aden here for me, please" I asked and he nodded, before leaving. "Thank you" Sheela muttered and I scoffed. "Do not thank me, if you even think about bringing Valin or any of my family for that matter, any harm, I will happily remove your head" I told her, with a smile.

"Where is Terni and Thistle?" mother suddenly asked and I turned my head to look at her. "If Thistle is at her usual post, she will be here shortly" I told her. My thoughts going to the past days since the battle with Mela.