Chapter Forty Eight - Trouble At Sea

Valin's Pov...

It had been seven days since we set off, and it has been seven days of sea sickness for me. Some days are worst than others and some are so much better that others. I found myself leaning against the rail of the ship, a cup of that horrible tasting concoction in hand.

"Here, drink some more" Sheela said softly beside me, helping lift the cup to my lips. Begrudgingly, I took some onto my mouth and swallowed quickly. "No matter how many times I drink that, it is still revolting" I groaned out, my words muffled by my hand, covering my mouth.

"It will get better soon" Sheela tried to reassure me but I groaned aloud. My stomach rolling as the ship was gently lifted on a wave. I felt her hand rub soothing circles on my back, in an attempt to comfort me.

"How are you feeling?" I heard Thorin's voice ask from above me. "I want to die at this point" I grumbled and he gave me a short, soft chuckle in response. "No, you do not. We should reach land within a day" he said, as if to reassure me but I found myself groaning again.

"A whole day" I whined and he chuckled again, leaning down and pressing a gently kiss to my temple. "Try to sleep, the day will go faster that way" he tried and I gave him a weak nod. "I will try" I murmured and he hummed in response before walking away to guide the ship's course.

"Here, have some of this. It will settle your stomach and sooth you to sleep" Sheela said, handing me, my cup. "Thank you" I said softly before downing as much of the contents as I could in one gulp. Swallowing, I sighed. 

"Try to rest" she whispered to me and I nodded, huddling into the blanket she draped over my shoulders. "Wake me when we reach land" I said, my voice slurred as I drifted off to sleep.

"Valin!" I heard someone call out to me, but they seemed so far away. I groaned, something cold was dripping on me, but I could not bring myself to move away from it. "Valin! Get up!" I heard the same voice call me again, it was closer than before, but I could not figure out who it was.

Whatever it was that was dripping on me, seemed to be coming faster and heavier than before, it was quickly soaking me. Something gripped my shoulders and shook me violently. "Valin! Get up!" the voice shouted, jolting me awake. 

I sat up straight, and forced my eyes open. I was now leaned against the mast of the ship, Aden was leaning over me, his grip on my shoulders tight, his eyes wide in fear. Rain pelted down on us, steams of water snaking down his face and dripping off his chin, soaking his clothes and the floor. 

"Aden?" I asked, my voice drowned out by the sound of the roar of the waves and the storm brewing around us. The blinding flash of lightning that illuminated the cloudy skies was followed by an ominous rumble of thunder. 

I was now wide awake and worried. I had slept through the beginning of a bloody storm. "You need to go inside!" Aden shouted at me urgently. "Where?!" I asked, thoroughly confused by his words. He simply pointed to the waxed tarp, that created a shelter from the pouring rain.

I nodded and he helped me to my feet. The waves were so much rougher than before, I found myself stumbling and having to grab onto Aden and the tall wooden mast to keep myself upright. "Where is Thorin?!" I asked, worried about my husband.

"He is trying to keep the ship on course. It is not working, we already lost sight of three of our ships" Aden informed me, his face grim. I frowned, we had a lot of good men and women on those ships. For all I know, they could very well be dead.

Aden and I both stumbled into the covered area of the ship, everyone but Thorin was already here, huddled together to keep warm. Though, they looked much calmer than Aden, Sheela and myself. I lowered myself in an empty spot and someone passed me a blanket and a bucket.