Chapter Thirty Five - When Trouble Comes Knocking

Thorin’s Pov…
I was woken up by the sound of someone being sick, just outside the tent; groaning, I sat up and looked around the dimly lit space, to find Valin missing from her bedroll. I could not help but chuckle; I stood and went to her side. She was slumped behind a tree, still releasing the contents of her stomach when I moved behind her. She did not even hear me approach, as she was otherwise engaged. I gingerly gathered her hair and held it away from her pale neck, with one hand and with the other; I rubbed her back in a soothing manner. She jumped slightly at my touch, but her mind was eased when I announced my identity to her.

Several minutes later, she stopped being sick and stood up weakly; I held her around the waist as she leaned on me. “I am never going to drink again” she moaned out, almost painfully and I laughed; “That is what we all say, but yet, we still drink when the time comes” I told her and she groaned again, before hiccupping. She immediately covered her mouth, in fear that she would be ill once more, but it did not happen and she sighed, almost in relief. “Come, let us get you cleaned up before we wake the rest of the camp” I said, moving to walk towards the creek, but she did not move with me.

“What is the matter Valin?” I asked and she clutched her stomach; “I do not feel very well” she moaned out and I chuckled before bending down and grabbed behind her knees; keeping my hand on her back as I lifted her effortlessly. I walked with her toward the creek, and the previous night’s conversation came to my mind; “Valin, do you remember anything from the night before?” I asked as I looked down at her. She was silent for a moment, before shaking her head, “No, what happened?” she asked, looking up at me, innocently. I gave a weak smile before shaking my own head.

“Nothing important, you drunkenly danced around the fire with Thrain and was singing, quite off-key might I add” I told her and she covered her face, which was going red with embarrassment.

“It was quite amusing” I told her with a chuckle; “Stop it, it is quite embarrassing to hear this” she muttered and I smiled. We had reached the creek and I could now see the crystal, clear waters as it rushed over smooth grey stones; the early morning light casted a dim glow over everything. I sat her down on the water’s edge, and moved to cup some of the cool water in my hands, “Wash out your mouth” I ordered as I brought my hands to her lips and she took it into her mouth, slowly. After she swished it around a bit, she quickly spits it out on the grass; “That is fowl” she murmured, just loud enough for me to hear and I chuckled once more.

She stooped down beside the water and cupped some of the refreshingly, cool liquid in her hands before washing her face with it. I looked at her carefully, one thought kept crossing my mind; she does not remember who we said to one another the previous night. That thought made me frown. “Thorin, when do we leave?” Valin asked as I looked into her eyes, “As soon as I can wake my cousins and brothers” I replied with a smirk. I heard someone approaching and Valin and I looked up to see Aden stumbling through the trees towards us. “Good morning” he greeted as he came to stand by us, “And to you, Aden” I spoke, as I moved to stand; “Did you sleep well, Aden?” Valin asked. “Better than most” Aden responded with a small chuckle. “Most of the men woke in the middle of the night to be sick” he explained; “Good, that means that we will be able to leave shortly” I said. “Aden, help Valin back to our tent when she is finished, I have to go wake the men” I told him, before walking back to camp and to my cousins’ tent.

Valin’s Pov…
I watched as Thorin walked away and looked over at Aden, who had suddenly produced a wooden cup from his bag. “Here, finish washing up, I’ll go get something for you to change before we leave again” he offered kindly and I nodded and watched the boy scurry away. I filled the cup with some water and washed my face and mouth properly before moving behind a tree, near the water. I looked around carefully before beginning to strip out of my tunic and pants, my feet already bare; leaving on my thin chemise before moving towards the water.