"Stop being such a babe about it. You need help and this is the only logical one father came up with. Go quickly and get it done. I am in dire need of a new apprentice, about four had quit in the past year. I wonder why." Issachar chucked Jireh's leather satchel at him, a broad grin on his face. "Just do what you must. I'll be back by noon."

Before Jireh could say a word in protest, Issachar was already hurling his huge frame atop the wagon and snapping at the donkeys.

Jireh stared after him and fought the urge to race after the wagon. His heart thudded. A rapidly growing part of him was fighting his decision to take the vow, yet another part begged him to bound to the temple and seek help.

Jerusalem is big. You can make it here. Set up a small stand at the corner.

Yes, you burned the books but not the knowledge. You can still use the power of Dahw.

You need the money. You need the pow--

"Blessings."

Jireh stiffened. Looking about, he sought out who spoke.

"Over here."

He looked down, frowning at a girl he was almost certain wasn't there a moment ago. She was standing to his right and looked about ten years old? He wasn't sure. The dark brown hooded robe she wore hung over a cream inner garment, and she was barefoot.

"Are you here for the Nazirite vow?"

"Err..."

That voice. It sounded so familiar.

"I am sure you are." The girl answered her own question as she pushed back her hood. Her hair was a dull red shade and her robe appeared worn, other than that she looked quite clean for a street child. Her face wasn't dirty, it was round and held the greenest eyes Jireh had ever seen. She smiled up at him and jerked her head towards the huge doors of the temple. "Go in and do it. Or you don't want to?"

"I-I plan to." It still rang in his mind, her voice. He felt as though he had met the girl before. She even looked familiar. "This feels unusual."

"Why?" She grabbed a hold of his hand without his permission and led him up the stairs of the temple. Jireh found himself following behind, hurrying to catch up with her quick steps.

"I do not know."

"Maybe it's the vow. You are nervous, eh?" She let go of his hand as they both stopped halfway. Since it was the early hours of the morning, the front of the temple was quite deserted. Apart from a few Levites and a handful of temple female servants, Jireh had spotted no one coming for sacrifices or offerings.

"I am not nervous."

The girl looked at him as though she knew he was lying. Jireh was tempted to tell her to look away but he fought the urge. "Have you no parents?"

Her short curls bounced as she shook her head. "But I have brothers. They are in Samaria. I heard you talk of returning to Samaria with that huge man that drove away. Can I ride with you?" She begged with big green eyes.

"What are you doing in faraway Jerusalem? How did you get here?" He asked, concerned for her safety. The streets of Jerusalem were not the safest. He had heard enough to worry about her. Was she one of those street thieves? He hugged his leather satchel tighter.

"It's a long story. I just really need a ride back. I promise I wouldn't be any trouble. I'd even bring my own food." She dug her hand into a worn-out haversack and pulled out mouldy bread. "See?" The smile she wore made one appear on Jireh's lips. A sense of fondness flooded him.