Jealous

Maya POV:

The nurse gave Lucas an ice pack and told us to get to class. As I stepped outside the nurse's office, I saw Josh with a new girl. He really thinks that I chose Lucas. Lucas must have seen them too because he put his arm around me as we walked to lunch. I make a quick stop at the restroom so I can change. I'm cold so I put a hoodie on over my previous outfit and slip some socks on.

Please don't let Josh sit with us. We walk into the room and what do I see, of course , Josh and the girl sitting at our table. Lucas must notice how uncomfortable I am, so when we sit down, he keeps his arm around me. Everyone is talking but all I notice is how Josh is glaring at Lucas' arm. In fact, I think everyone is noticing.

Josh POV:

Of course, he put his arm around her. Ugh! I'm so tempted to walk over there, grab Maya, and carry her out as I leave, mostly to see if she would allow it. Normally she would, but after today, she seems to like Lucas more than me. So all I do is stare. Rosie must have noticed how I was looking at them and tried to get my attention by kissing me on the cheek.

Rosie- "Blah blah blah leaving, blah blah after lunch. Blah blah blah later Joshie."

Josh- "Yeah ok," I missed everything she said because, at that moment, Lucas said something that made Maya laugh. I can't take it anymore. "Nice sweatshirt Maya." She starts blushing like crazy. Maybe she thought I hadn't noticed.

Maya- "O-oh thanks Josh," she stutters.

Josh- "No problem it looks hot on you." I can see Lucas starting to get angry, so I keep going. "You can borrow my clothes anytime. I think it's really hot when you wear my shirts." Everyone's jaws drop except for Maya who hasn't stopped blushing and smiling. Damn, she's really adorable.

Lucas- "Oh, Josh that's your hoodie?" He got more and more upset with every word. I'm about to push him over the edge.

Josh- "Yup, and she's wearing my socks." Maya looks up at me.

Zay- "That would explain why they're so long on her." The table glared at Zay until he shut up.

Maya- "You remembered the socks?" She actually looked like she was about to burst. I've never seen her smile this big except for when her mom and Shawn started dating.

Josh- "Oh course, they were my favorite pair." There was nothing special about the socks if you looked at them, they just looked like normal black dress socks, unless you know the story. Maya was in Philly with Riley and her family, visiting during winter break. We were baking cookies and couldn't find the oven mitts, so we used that pair of socks. We were about 6 and 9. Of course, I remembered, I remembered every time I saw her, every interaction we had. I pull away from my thoughts soon enough to hear it. She did it again. She giggled. That did it for Lucas. He stood up and walked over to my side of the table.

Lucas- "Stop complimenting her." He stared at me expressionlessly. This was going to be too much fun.

Josh- "Why should I? She looks hot as hell in my hoodie. Why am I not allowed to let her know?" I stand up in front of him. He had maybe 1/2 inch on me but I'm not afraid of some tall freshman.

Lucas- "Cut it out Josh and leave her alone."

Josh- "Why should I? You're not her boyfriend." I raised a brow and that's when he fucked up. He took a swing at me but I ducked and uppercut him. He stumbled back a bit. He's probably confused why it didn't hurt as much as he was expecting. I could have knocked him out right here but I knew Maya would be pissed. So I chose to punch him where I know it will hurt tomorrow. I go to swing him again when I hear a soft, 'Josh don't!' come out of Maya. I can't just back off, especially in front of the whole school, and she knows it. The next thing I feel is Maya jump on my back. I turned to look up at her, weird, and she smiled at me. "Fine! Let's go cutie, but you owe me!" As we get to the door, I feel Maya fall off my back. I look down at her and see that she's about to cry. I turn to see Lucas and Gabe both standing there laughing at her. They hurt her. One of them pulled her off me and the other spit on her. They hurt Maya. That's it. I punched Lucas so hard he flew back, Gade being a smarter freshman than Friar, ran off. I wanted to run after him when I heard Maya sniffle. I picked her up off the floor and carried her out of the lunchroom. Maya was crying into my chest when we heard Riley run over.