Chapter 17- Leaving Footprints In The Sand

Jung Hoseok-

"What are you wearing?!" I shouted to Hyeri, my cheeks a deep scarlet. We were already at the beach, and she wore a tight bathing suit. Believe me, I wasn't the only guy whose attention she got. I cleared my throat while taking off my jacket and putting it around her.

"You seem . . . Cold. Use my jacket for now." I said without looking at her. She tilted her head sideways.

"But it's not . . . Oh." She finally realized. We sat down under the shade of a couple of palm trees, and she pulled out a book.

"What are you reading?" I asked curiously. She smiled widely and scooted closer to me.

"It's a story about a loyal dog. Even when his owner died, he still waited for him in front of the door, hoping for his master to return." She said with a smile.

"That's a very sad story." I said with a pout. She laughed and rested her head on my shoulder. A peaceful silence engulfed the both of us, and we sat there listening to the calming sound of the waves.

"What would you do if I died?" She asked suddenly. I looked at her her questioningly.

"Died?" I asked quietly. She nodded slightly.

"I wouldn't even want to think of something like that. I know we all eventually die, but I want to be with you when that happens. Maybe that will make me less afraid." I said. She nodded with a sad smile, and for a second, it looked like she wanted to tell me something.

"What's wrong?" I asked. She just shook her head and stood up.

"Want to walk around?" She said with an extended hand.

                                                                             ***

She stopped to look at some seashells in the sand, and I continued to walk along the shore by myself. I kept walking for awhile, but I stopped when I realized Hyeri wasn't even near me. Where was she? I turned around and smiled at the sight of her. She was carefully placing her feet in the indentaition of my footprints like a child.

She stared at the ground so carefully, she bumped into my chest and into my arms. I wrapped my arms around her, inhaling her sweet scent and feeling her every heartbeat. I swayed a little while I was hugging her, and she swayed with me.

"Hoseok." She finally said. She pulled away a little and looked into my eyes.

"Hm?" I said. I could feel her heartbeat quicken.

"I love you." She said before placing her lips on mine.