Chapter 9 | The Butterfly Effect

We figured out what to do with Damian while Silvia and I were off at school. While Silvia and I are at Gotham High Damian spends the day with Selina Kyle. Though I didn't tell her Damian's full name because we couldn't have her knowing Damian was an al Ghul of course.

       Silvia and I didn't want to even tell Selina Damian's first name because of her relationship with Bruce but we realized that telling her was the best option for us all. We told her that she couldn't talk to anyone about him and that Damian was our cousin and how we were watching him because our aunt was busy with a new movie.

       This wasn't a total lie, our aunt Daphne who doesn't know we exist is most likely filming a new movie in Hollywood as she's a well-known actress. The only part of our story that's not true is that Daphne has no kids (that we know of) and Damian isn't her son obviously. Lying to Selina is all good though I mean it's not like she's never lied to us before.

       Anyways today was my day to drop off Damian at Selina's. Bernie and I switch off because as much as I love Selina her herd of stray cats is too much I swear. Though I have stated numerous times my disgust for that many cats, Damian seems to enjoy being around them no matter how much he denies it.

       "Damian let's go!" I said grabbing my keys from the kitchen table, leaving the house. As per usual Damian is taking forever to get out the door, and here I was thinking assassins were supposed to be punctual.

       Eventually, Damian came out of the house and joined me in the car. The car ride over to Selina's was a quiet one as Damian and I didn't have a lot to talk about.

       Once we got out of the car and made our way towards Selina's I could tell something was wrong. Normally her apartment had dozens of cats lazily sitting around and today there was hardly any cats insight. I looked at Damian and could tell he was just as suspicious about the lack of cats. I gestured towards her door and Damian followed silently behind me.

       I knocked on her door and waited a few seconds. Looking at Damian who was behind me once more I lifted the pot filled with a dead looking plant in it and grabbed the key that she has hidden underneath. I turned her doorknob slowly and entered her small apartment. The place was completely empty with no sign of Selina. Walking through the apartment with Damian following suit I saw no indication that something was even remotely wrong and yet the room felt wrong.

       "What do you think happened to the crazy cat lady anyway?" Damian said.

       "She didn't mention taking a vacation to you either huh," I said with no knowledge of her whereabouts. This was not good if anything her mysterious disappearance made me uneasy. Though I suppose it's possible that she spent the night with Bruce and simply forgot to tell us. But that seems highly unlikely as Damian stays with her every day because Silvia and I have school and because I doubt Grayson would approve of a villain such as herself spending the night at the Bats mansion.

       "I'm going to be so late to school but it sounds like you're gonna get to spend the day with Bernie kid," I said walking out of Selina's apartment locking the door as I left. Damian gave no protest because he gets along with Bernie well much to my surprise. Hopping back into the car I left with a feeling that something was going on that no one knew about yet.

      "Can you hand me the spare phone, it's in the glove compartment mine's in my backpack in the backseat," I said as I began driving back towards the heart of the city. Once Damian passed me my phone I called Bernie who responded almost immediately and put him on speaker.

       "Hey Bernie can you watch the kid while I'm at school, Selina wasn't at her apartment," I said trying to stay focused on the road ahead of me. "I'm not a kid." Damian mumbled in the passenger seat to my right.