Chapter 1: 2006

Narrator's pov

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to dear Jungkook, happy birthday to you. Yayyy".

The lady placed a homemade cake down on the wooden table and clapped her hands together in joy.

"Happy 9th birthday son".
She said to the little boy standing behind the table. His party hat on his head siting proudly and a smile spread across his lips.

"Thank you Mumma", he replied.

"Now come on cut the cake".
His mum handed him a little knife after he blew his candles.

As soon as the knife was about to dig in the sponge cake, there was a loud THUD! On the doorstep.

"I-I'll go check".
His mum walked off.

"Oh it must be Dad", he mentioned happily.

Jungkook, the little boy left what he was doing and waited for his father. Happy thoughts crossed his head, knowing he will bring him his favourite car toy like he does every year.

Even if they lived in a worn out small house, his father always had tried to fulfil Jungkook's wishers. Although he was smarter than an average 9 year old to understand their hardships and never really asked for anything.

"Mum open the door dad must be he-.."

*SCREAMS*

He was cut midway when his mum screamed and quickly ran towards the front porch kneeling down.

"Jungkook! Ring the ambulance."

He stood there senseless at what his mum was saying until a glimpse of a bloody figure caught his eyes.

His eyes widened in fear, with a heart beating like drums. Without thinking further or due, he reached out to an old landline and rushed to the figure lying in the porch.

What shook him the most was that it was none other than his own father.
Covered and lying in his own pool of blood.

"DAD?!" He screamed.

"Dad! Dad! What happened? Who did this?"

The man laid on his wife's lap, struggling to speak. Blood was all that came out of his mouth. His body was covered in bruises, extreme cuts and blood oozing all around the body. It seemed he was jabbed at many parts as well. His face was brutally beaten to the point they couldn't recognise him.

The little kid stood in shock when his mum took the phone off him and called the ambulance.

"Dad, who did this? Y-you can't leave like this. You've gotta live. Dad!"
He burst out crying and dropped on his knees, holding his father's hand.

"You'll be alright honey, the ambulance is on its way. Y-you don't have to worry". The lady tried convincing herself with the lie she knew would never come true. She hoped and cried. Cleaning her husbands wounds and blood off his face with a piece of cloth. She and Jungkook tried their best to patch up open wounds until the ambulance arrived.

Once it did, they were rushed to the hospital. Reaching there in less than its usual time. His father was rushed to the emergency with them told to wait outside. As they did, and cried for the tragic event that had just occurred.

"Mum sit down, d-dad will be fine".
Tears escaped constantly as he tried maintaining himself strong for his mum.

His mother sat down on the seat helplessly in front of the operation theatre, a hand over her mouth and tears circling her eyes. Each dropping one by one in worry.