Amy's Choice Pt. 4

"They're just old people" Amy says.

"No, they're very old people. Sorry, Rory, I don't think you're what's been keeping them alive" the Doctor says.

"Hello, peasants. What's this, attack of the old people? Oh, that's ridiculous. This has got to be the dream, hasn't it? What do you think, Amy? Let's all jump under a bus and wake up in the TARDIS. You first" the Dream Lord says, {Y/N} steps in front of Amy.

"Leave her alone."

"Do that again. I love it when she does that. Tall dark hero. Leave her alone" the Dream Lord laughs.

"Just leave her" Rory says.

"Yes, you're not quite so impressive, but I know where your heart lies, don't I, Amy Pond?" the Dream Lord asks.

"Shut up. Just shut up and leave me alone" Amy says.

"But listen. You're in there. Loves a redhead, the Doctor. Has he told you about Elizabeth the First {Y/N}? Well, she thought she was the first" the Dream Lord laughs again.

"Drop it. Drop all of it. I know who you are" {Y/N} says shaking her head.

"Course you don't."

"Course I do. No idea how you can be here, but there's only one person in the universe who hates me as much as you do" {Y/N} says.

"Never mind me. Maybe you should worry about them" the old people are walking across the grass. The Dream Lord vanishes.

"Hi. Hello" Rory says.

"Hello, we were wondering where you went. To get reinforcements, by the look of it. Are you, all right? You look a bit tense" the Doctor says.

"Hello, Mister Nainby" Rory says.

"Rory" the Doctor says.

"Mister Nainby ran the sweet shop. He used to slip me the odd free toffee" Rory says when suddenly Nainby grabs Rory by the collar and lifts him off his feet "did I not say thank you?" Rory gets thrown into the mud by the swings "how did he do that?"

"I suspect he's not himself. Don't get comfortable here. You may have to run, fast" {Y/N} says.

"Can't we just talk to them?" Amy asks, the old people open their mouths, and an eye looks out "there is an eye in her mouth."

"There's a whole creature inside her. Inside all of them. They've been there for years, living and waiting" the Doctor says.

"That is disgusting. They're not going to be peeping out of anywhere else, are they?" Rory asks, Mrs Poggit breaths a stream of green gas at them.

"Run. Ok, leave them, leave them. Talk to me. Talk to me. You are Eknodines. A proud, ancient race. you're better than this" the Doctor says, Rory and Amy run off.

"Why are you hiding away here? Why aren't you at home?" {Y/N} asks.

"We were driven from our planet by..."

"Planet by upstart neighbours" the Doctor says.

"So, we've..."

"Been living here inside the bodies of old humans for years. No wonder they live so long. You're keeping them alive" {Y/N} says.

"We were humbled and destroyed. Now we will do the same to others."

"Ok. Makes sense, I suppose. Credible enough. Could be real" the Doctor says, a paper boy wheels his bicycle past.

"Morning" Mrs Poggit breaths on him and he turns to dust.

"You need to leave this planet" {Y/N} says.

*Time skip*

The Doctor and {Y/N} are fighting the bird song's effect, they run/stumble into the butcher.

"Oh, I love a good butcher's, don't you? We've got to use these places or they'll shut down. Oh, but you're probably vegetarians, aren't you, especially you big flop-haired of a wuss" the Dream Lord says.

"Oh, pipe down. We're busy" {Y/N} says.

"Maybe you need a little sleep" {Y/N} slumps to the floor "oh, wait a moment. If you fall asleep here, several dozen angry pensioners will destroy you with their horrible eye things" the Doctor helps her up "fingers in the ears. Brilliant. What's next, shouting boo? Come in, come in" the old people enter the shop "yes, we've got lots at steak here this week. Lots at steak, get it? Are these jokes wasted on you?"

"Wait, wait, stop" the Doctor says.

"Doctor..." {Y/N} murmurs, struggling to keep her eyes open.

"Oh. Oh, I can't watch" the Dream Lord covers his eyes, the Doctor locks himself and {Y/N} in a store room, {Y/N} slumps against him.

"I... I can't" she whispers, the Doctor takes her face between his hands.

"It's ok" he whispers back, before they both fall asleep.

***

"Ah, it's colder" Amy says.

"The four of us have to agree, now, which is the dream."

"It's this, here" Rory says.

"He could be right. The science is all wrong here. Burning ice?" Amy asks.

"No, no, no. Ice can burn. Sofas can read. It's a big universe. We have to agree which battle to lose. All of us, now" {Y/N} says.

"Ok, which world do you two think is real?"

"This one" the two Time Lords reply.

"No, the other one" Rory says.

"Yeah, but are we disagreeing or competing?" the Doctor asks.

"Competing? Over what? Oh" Amy says.

"Nine minutes till impact" {Y/N} says.

"What temperature is it?" Amy asks.

"Outside? Brrr. How many noughts have you got? Inside? I don't know but I can't feel my feet and other parts" the Doctor says.

"I think all my parts are basically fine" Rory says.

"Stop competing" the Doctor says, Rory picks up the TARDIS telephone.

"Can't we call for help?"

"Yeah, because the universe is really small and there's bound to be someone nearby" the Doctor says.

"Put these on, all of you" Amy has cut a slit in the middle of the blankets.

"Oh, a poncho. The biggest crime against fashion since lederhosen" Rory says.

"Here we go. My boys and girl. My poncho boys and girl. If we're going to die, let's die looking like a Peruvian folk band" Amy says.

"We're not going to die" Rory says.

"No, we're not, but our time's running out. If we fall asleep here we're in trouble. If we could divide up, then we'd have an active presence in each world, but the Dream Lord is switching us between the worlds. Why? Why? what's the logic?" {Y/N} asks.

"Good idea, veggie. Let's divide you three up, so I can have a little chat with our lovely companion. Maybe I'll keep her, and you two can have Pointy Nose to yourselves for all eternity, should you manage to clamber aboard some sort of reality" thee Dream Lord says.

"Can you hear that?" Rory asks.

"What? No" Amy asks.

"Amy, don't be scared. We'll be back" {Y/N} says smiling before, her, the Doctor and Rory fall asleep on one another.

"Rory, Doctor, {Y/N}, don't leave me."

"Amy, we're going to have fun, aren't we?"

"No, please, not alone."

---

~Bread 🍞