Amy's Choice Pt. 3

Directly opposite the care home is a play area and a ruined castle. The teacher is trying to keep control of the children as they play.

"Stop. You two, over there. Come along, where's the rest of you? Come on, come on. We're going up to the castle now. All of you, come on."

"Why would they leave?" Rory asks.

"And what did you mean about Mrs. Poggit's nice old lady act?" Amy asks looking at {Y/N}.

"One of my tawdry quirks. Sniffing out things that aren't what they seem. So, come on, let's think. The mechanics of this reality split we're stuck in. Time asleep exactly matches time in our dream world, unlike in conventional dreams" {Y/N} says.

"And we're all dreaming the same dream at the same time," Rory says.

"Yes, sort of communal trance. Very rare, very complicated. I'm sure there's a dream giveaway, a tell, but my mind isn't working because this village is so dull! I'm slowing down like you two have" the Doctor says.

"Ooo. Ow. Really. Ow! It's coming" Amy says, Rory, the Doctor and {Y/N} look at her.

"Ok, you're a doctor, help her," the Doctor says pointing to Rory.

"You're a doctor" Rory replies.

"It's ok, we're doctors" the Doctor squats down to catch the baby, {Y/N} shakes her head.

"What do we do?" Rory asks.

"Ok, it's not coming," Amy says.

"What?" the Doctor asks.

"This is my life now and it just turned you white as a sheet, so don't you call it dull again, ever. Ok?"

"Sorry" the Doctor mutters.

"Yeah" Amy goes to sit on a swing as Mrs. Poggit walks up the steps to the castle.

"Now, we all know there's an elephant in the room," the Doctor says.

"I have to be this size, I'm having a baby," Amy says.

"No, no. The hormones seem real, but no. Is nobody going to mention Rory's ponytail? You hold him down, I'll cut it off?" the Doctor asks looking at {Y/N}.

"This from the man in the bow tie."

"Bow ties are cool. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't hire Mrs. Poggit as a babysitter. What's she doing? What does she want?" tweet, tweet.

"Oh, no. Here we go" Amy says as they all fall asleep again.

***

"It's really cold. Have you got any warm clothing?" Amy asks when they all wake up.

"What does it matter if we're cold? We have to know what she is up to. Sorry, sorry. There should be some stuff down there. Have a look" {Y/N} says, Amy and Rory, go down the steps. The Doctor goes underneath the console with a tin mug and opens a toolbox. It contains a piece of rope, a bottle opener and a whisk, {Y/N} stands at the console with her head down.

"I want the other life. You know, where we're happy and settled and about to have a baby" Rory says.

"But don't you wonder, if that life is real, then why would we give up all this? Why would anyone?" Amy asks.

"Because we're going to freeze to death?" Rory replies.

"The Doctor and {Y/N} will fix it," Amy says.

"Ok. Because we're going to get married?"

"We can still get married someday."

"You don't want to anymore. I thought you'd chosen me, not him."

"You are always so insecure."

"You ran off with another man."

"Not in that way."

"It was the night before our wedding."

"We're in a time machine. It can be the night before our wedding for as long as we want."

"We have to grow up eventually."

"Says who?" Amy gives Rory a blanket and they go back up the stairs. The Doctor has assembled the whisk, rope and bottle opener into a gizmo with the help of {Y/N}.

"Ah, Rory, wind. Amy, could you attach this to the monitor, please" the Doctor asks.

"I was promised amazing worlds. Instead, I get duff central heating and a weird, kitcheny wind-up device" Rory says.

"It's a generator. Get winding" {Y/N} says.

"Not enough," Amy says.

"Rory, wind," the Doctor says.

"Why is the Dream Lord picking on you {Y/N}? Why us?" Rory asks the scanner comes to life.

"Where are we?" Amy asks.

"We're in trouble" {Y/N} says.

"What is that?" Rory asks.

"A star. A cold star" the Doctor opens the door.

"That's why we're freezing. It's not a heating malfunction. We're drifting towards a cold sun. There's our deadly danger for this version of reality" the Doctor says.

"So, this must be the dream. There's no such thing as a cold star. Stars burn" Amy says.

"So's this one. It's just burning cold" {Y/N} says.

"Is that possible?" Rory asks.

"We can't know everything. Why does everybody expect us to, always?" the Doctor asks.

"Ok, this is something you haven't seen before. So, does that mean this is the dream?" Rory asks.

"I don't know, but there it is, and I'd say we've got about fourteen minutes until we crash into it. But that's not a problem" {Y/N} says.

"Because you know how to get us out of this?" Rory asks.

"Because we'll have frozen to death by then" {Y/N} replies.

"Oh, then what are we going to do?" Amy asks.

"Stay calm. Don't get sucked into it, because this just might be the battle that we have to lose" the Doctor says.

"Oh, this is so you, isn't it?" Rory says.

"What?" the Doctor asks.

"Huh, what? A weird new star, fourteen minutes left to live and only you two to save the day, huh? I just wanted a nice village and a family" Rory says.

"Oh dear, {Y/N}. Dissent in the ranks. There was an old doctor from Gallifrey, who ended up throwing his life away. He let down his friends and..." the Dream Lord looks startled as the birdsong starts up "oh, no. We've run out of time. Don't spend too long there, or you'll catch your death here" {Y/N} growls at the Dream Lord before falling asleep.

***

"Where have the children gone?" the Doctor asks.

"Don't know. Play time's probably over" Rory says, the Doctor and {Y/N} scan the molehills and objects left next to them "you see, this is the real one. I just feel it. Don't you feel it?"

"I feel it both places," Amy says.

"I feel it here. It's just so tranquil and relaxed. Nothing bad could ever happen here" Rory says.

"Not really me, though, is it? I mean, would I be happy settling down in a place with a pub, two shops and a really bad Amateur Dramatics Society? That's why I got pregnant, so I don't have to see them doing Oklahoma. Doctor, {Y/N}, what are you doing? And what are those piles of dust?" Amy asks {Y/N} looks at her screwdriver.

"Play time's definitely over" {Y/N} says looking around.

"Oh, my God" Amy says.

"What happened to them?" Rory asks the old people are walking along the street.

"I think they did," the Doctor says.

---

~Bread 🍞