Chapter Fourty-Two

A day went by fast. In the middle of the night, Sae sat at her desk with a stressed out look as she looked through paper after paper.

   "All these relatives and not one reported child abuse..."

   Before her laid documents containing information on the known relatives in Akira's family. A large half were from Anesa's side. Few actually had the same blood as Akira. Sae had called up many of them to question the abuse, and many claimed Akira deserved it or denied any knowledge of it. Sae let out a breath and put her hands over her face.

   "This is too much..."

   There was a light knock on the door and Makoto came in carrying a gym bag.

   "Hey, Sis? I'm spending the night at Ann's place," She said.

   "Alright. How early will you be back?"

   "About 9:30 in the morning,"

   "Ok then..."

   Makoto hurried outside. Sae continued her work. When she picked up the next paper, she stopped to stare. It was the information on Anesa's father. Sae reread the paper multiple times until her eyes ached. Then she set it down and stared up at the ceiling fan.

   "How had this guy covered his crimes for so long...?"

————

They were asleep. Akira laid in Yusuke's arms at peace. Yusuke wasn't fully asleep. He drifted off a few times, but soon awoke again; he wanted to stay alert. They spent the day reading the art book and made lunch for themselves with a movie. Then when Akira got tired, he laid down. Yusuke stayed up for a while until he got tired himself. But he didn't want to fall asleep knowing something bad could happen. And his suspicions were correct...

   A crash was heard from downstairs.

   Yusuke sat up in seconds and looked toward the stairs. Akira rubbed his eyes and looked up at his lover.

   "What was that...?"

   Yusuke shushed him and slowly got up.

   "Stay close to me..." He whispered.

Akira got up and held Yusuke's hand as they began to slowly descend the stairs. Yusuke looked past the corner, trying hard to see through the darkness. In the dim light from the moon, he could see the glass from the door broken and shards all over the floor. But the most frightening thing was the shadow figure reaching a hand through the hole in the door window for the doorknob.

   Panicked, Yusuke released Akira's hand and ran as soon as the door was open. The figure was male, and had a tough build. He grabbed Yusuke's wrist and pinned him against the ground. Yusuke hit his head hard; the impact caused a bruise to form on his forehead.

   "YOU SON OF A BITCH!!"

   Yusuke heard Akira scream and the sound of bodies colliding with the ground. Yusuke grit his teeth as he tried to get back to his feet. Blood was dripping down his head and his vision was blurry, but he could easily see the man with his hands tight around Akira's neck.

   Yusuke blacked out.

   His actions were no longer his own and nothing reached his mind until he finally came to. Akira was pressed against the wall with terror in his eyes, and the intruder was on the floor with a bruised and bloodied face.

   "Y-Yusuke..." Akira muttered.

   The artist looked at his bloodied hands and at the unconscious male on the floor.

   'I just did that...'

    He shook it off then hurriedly grabbed Akira's hand and pulled him to his feet.

   "We need to leave, get dressed,"

   Akira shakily slipped past the man and rushed up stairs. Yusuke went to the sink and cleaned the blood off his hands, then went upstairs too. Akira was already dressed. Yusuke dressed himself too then grabbed his bag. After that, they went back down stairs to the door, but the younger male stopped when a strained and enraged voice called out.

   "You can't keep fucking running..."

   Akira looked back with fear in his eyes. The man was awake and staring right at him with swollen eyes blinded by blood.

   "I should've gotten rid of  you when you killed your mom all those years ago... and now... you've gone and killed my daughter..."

   "No I didn't..." Tears slipped down Akira's cheeks.

   "Fucking bitch..." A grin was on the man's face. "I can already see the blood falling from that pretty face..."

   Yusuke glared and put his bag down. He was fully aware of his actions this time. The violette went up to him and, without hesitation, kicked him right in the jaw, knocking him unconscious once again.

   "Let's go, darling..."

   Holding his hand tightly, Yusuke walked down the back streets with Akira in tow. When he heard Akira gasp lightly as he began to sob, Yusuke relaxed himself and wrapped an arm around his lover.

   "Don't listen to that bastard. You didn't kill anyone. And he's not going to hurt you,"

   Akira rubbed his eyes as he tried to recollect himself.

   "Where will we go now...?"

   "I have a feeling he's already been to your house... but Ryuji lives close by, we can go there," Yusuke said.

   Akira began to cry again. Yusuke rubbed his shoulders. The image of Anesa's father covered in bruises and blood haunted his mind. He breathed in a breath and held Akira tighter.

   'Everything will be ok...'