Chapter Thirty Seven

Erin couldn't believe the call she got from the hospital. She dragged Jaehyun away from work and they hurried to the hospital, where they found a crime scene.

   Anesa was dead. She laid on the floor in a pool of blood, and a knife in her hand. A cracked photo of her and her father was close to her. A sobbing nurse was speaking to a police officer while another officer was examining the corpse.

   "I swear I didn't hear anything!" The nurse was saying. "Something was going on in the nursery! I had to help calm the newborns down! When I came to check on this patient, I found her like this!"

   Erin stared at the body in disbelief.

   "Jaehyun... what could've—"

   The male stepped forward to speak to the police officer examining the body.

   "What was on the cameras?" He said sternly. "I know this place has them, you've had to catch something!"

  "Sir, we checked them, they were all shut down," The officer stood with the photo. "Is this the legal guardian? We need to call him here—"

    "No, she is, she's the mother. That man in the photo is her uncle, he's in another country."

   Erin was caught by surprise from Jaehyun's sudden outburst.

   "Wh-What...? Why are—"

   Jaehyun took her arm and pushed her outside.

   "Give us a second please, this is a lot to process..." He said before joining Erin. As soon as he was about to speak—

   SMACK!

   "What the actual HELL is wrong with you?!" Erin cried. "I'm not the mother, why are you lying about their father?!"

   "I'm not letting them bring that sorry excuse of a father here! You know what he'll do if he finds out his daughter is dead! You are the legal guardian, and that's that!" He deepened his tone. "I'm going to check on the boys at home. You stay here, got it?"

   Jaehyun turned away and left without another word; Erin stared with an enraged look that slowly became downcast.

   "Ma'am?" One of the police officers came out. "Are you the girls' mother?"

   Erin stared down the dim hallway, starting to bite her lip. She knew she was doing something bad, but she felt she had no choice.

   "No. Just the guardian... her father is Celso Brooks... he's away on business at the moment... but I can get him over here..."

————

   "Boys?!"

   Jaehyun came into the house in a rush. The lingering scent of chocolate and cookies was in the air. He looked in the kitchen to see a certain artist at the sink washing dishes.

   "Yusuke..." His voice was enraged.

   "It's almost 2:00, where have you been all night?" Yusuke spoke casually.

   "What the fuck did you do?"

   "Akira and I made ourselves hot chocolate since it's so chilly. He even put on a little show; I've got to say he'd be an amazing actor in the future,"