Chapter 21: Is this the real life?

Jesse's POV

Why can't I be happy? 

My parents are happy.

Why can't I be happy?

Because I want Sidney.

I wish...

I just wish... 

I wish she was here, next to me. Please.

______________________________

I shot up, breathing heavily. I don't know why I kept hearing those same lines over and over again in my head.

I looked around my room, I saw nothing, only pure darkness. However, my eyes quickly adjusted to it.

I let out a deep breath and laid down again, my hands on my belly. I tried my best to calm down, to relax.

This wasn't a nightmare, I shouldn't worry too much. But why do these lines keep on going in my mind?

It's probably nothing. I hope it's nothing.

I let out one finally deep breath before slowly closing my eyes. Tomorrow would be a long day, looking for Sid again.

Why can't you come to me, Sid?

______________________________

The next day I woke up, stretching. I slept good, even though I had woken up during the night.

I turned on my left side, my eyes still closed. I loved doing this, sleeping in. Even though I wasn't really sleeping, I was just relaxing. Wasting time basically.

I laid there for about 5 minutes before opening my eyes. I slowly let my eyes adjust to the light. I looked around. My eyes went straight to the clock, noticing it was already past 9. I wonder where Joyce and Nicole are. Yesterday, at this time, we were in the park already...

I slowly moved on my back, stretching again. I opened my eyes again, looking around. It was very sunny outside, maybe today wasn't going to be that bad after all...

I blinked a couple of times to get all the sleep out of my eyes and, when I did, I noticed something odd.

There was something in my bed. Not just something, but someone. Someone was next to me. There was a person next to me.

I looked at this person, unsure of what I should think and do next. What did this person do here? How did they even got here?

I heard the person breathe out, it seemed as if they were waking up as well.

I gulped, what should I do? I looked around, trying to find things that I can use as weapons, just in case...

The person turned around, slowly, and that's when we both gasped. "Jesse?"

"S-Sidney?"

Sidney smiled and sat up, immediately hugging me tightly. "I finally found you!"

I slowly wrapped my arms around her, tears forming in my eyes. I can't believe this is real. I closed my eyes, enjoying this moment. I really can't believe this is real. Then it hit me... What if I was dreaming?

I opened my eyes, I was still in the hug with Sid. I pulled back. "What's wrong?"

I looked her up and down, this was my Sid, that's for sure. But... Was this reality? Is this the real life?

"Jess?"

I looked around.

"Jess?"

I looked at her.

"What's wrong?"

"Is this real? Or am I dreaming?"

She smiled. "Maybe, I don't know. But we're together." She showed me her warmhearted smile, the smile I fell in love with.

I smiled as well. "You're right, I should enjoy this. Right here, right now." I laid back down, as did she. I scooted closer to her. "I really missed you. Last time I saw you, it went horrible. I didn't mean anything what I said."

"Hey," She caressed my cheek. "It's ok."

"It's not ok, I was mean and ignorant." I sighed deeply. "Most of all, I was scared."

"My Jess is never scared." She showed me a reassuring smile. "I remember how brave you were when we went scuba diving, or when we climbed the mountain to get a better view of our island, or when we climbed in our tree..." She stopped there, looking down.

"What happened to the tree?"

She shrugged. "It died, I guess."

"It's my fault."

"No," She looked at me, a smile immediately on her face. "It was time for me to get out of that place and come to your world."

"But how?"

"I don't know." She smiled more, scooting closer to me. "But I'm so happy this happened." She leaned her forehead against mine.

"Do you really think this is the real world?"

Before Sid could answer, there was a knock on my door. "Jess! Wake up!"

I sat up, and so Sid followed. "What's wrong? Who's that?"

"Jess!"

"I'm coming, give me a minute." I got out of bed, hurrying to my closet. I took my clothes and then looked at Sid. "Uhm that's Nicole."

"Oh." She nodded, she seemed to think about something. "Somehow I imagined her to be different."

I chuckled.

"What are we doing today?"

"Well we are going out to look for..." I stopped.

"You're going out to look for...?"

I looked at her. "We're looking for you."

Sid's eyebrow raised. "You knew I was coming?"

I shook my head. "Joyce did. She had faith in us." I continued dressing. "How will I stop them from looking now?"

"Well," Sid got out of bed. "Introduce me to them." She smiled, wrapping her arms around my neck. "It'll be fun."

"I can't do that."

"Why not?" She slowly let go of me. "Don't they know I'm your girlfriend?"

I finished getting dressed and then sat down. "They do."

"Well then."

"Sid, you're new on this earth." I can't even believe I'm saying that sentence, I never thought I would. "You can't just barge in my life and expect everyone to be fine with it."

She looked down, her thinking face.

"What are you thinking about?"

She looked back up at me. "I don't understand."

I knelt in front of her. "Over here, no one believes you're real."

"But I am."

"Yes, you are." I sighed. "But they don't believe that, so it'll be weird for them to meet you."

"But you just said you were looking for me with them?" She looked so confused, and it was so cute.

I smiled a little. "Baby, give me some time to tell everyone about you. So they can at least get used to the idea."

"But if I come with you, we can do it together." She smiled. "We can do everything together."

"I'm sure of that, but leave this to me, please." I got up. "Besides, I know my parents won't believe the real story."

"Why not?" Sid stood up as well.

"Because things like this don't happen."

"We got lucky." She smiled again. She looked at me with so much love, just like she used to do.

"Exactly," I took her hands in mine. "So let's not ruin it by telling people immediately. Leave this to me, ok?"