Old House

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for all-" He suddenly stomped on the breaks.

The car lurched forward and I turned to the front window. There was a line of vampires standing in the middle of the road. The car behind us screeched to a stop. I turned to face the back of the car. The other SUV had narrowly missed us.

        "When I tell you to run-" Damien warned me, holding me back into the seat. "You do it. Don't argue with me."

       "No," I protested turning to the front of the car. The vampires weren't moving. It was creepy because they were so hyper-focused that they weren't even blinking.

The whole thing was causing chills to run down my spine.

       "Don't argue with me. For once in your life do as you are told." Damien frantically told me through a clenched jaw. "Please promise me that you will run. You can outrun them. Run to the school." There was some whimpering coming from the vampires. I leaned forward and noticed there were-

     "Oh my god. They have Ordines." My stomach churned with disgust at the sight of the two girls that were blindfolded with tied hands. They couldn't possibly be much older than I was.

     "Take them and run." Damien told me. The vampires were listening in on our conversation because there was some eye-rolling and chuckling.

     "I can't. I can smell them." I whispered, shaking my head with horror. They wanted me to bite the Ordines and that could easily happen. I wasn't sure if I was strong enough to get them out of here.

       "You need to get them out of here because their lives are in our hands. Do you understand me?" Damien yanked me roughly. My eyes had been on the two girls who were crying for help. There seemed to be an older one who was doing her best to protect the younger one. "Alexandra. Do you understand?" Damien shouted sharply.

       "Yes. I understand." The words floated out of my mouth even though I wasn't confident in myself. He placed a knife in my hand and stepped out of the car. My heart was thundering in my chest as Damien approached them. The vampires didn't even move or twitch. They were staring at me. 

Damien was speaking to them in a very low voice so I couldn't make out what he was saying to them. There was movement out the corner of my eye making me turn to the window. Professor Rogers was standing next to the door. Her eyes were focused on the vampires. I swiveled in my seat to look behind me.

The headlights were brightly shining nearly blinding me. I couldn't see where Eric and Louis were. There was movement at the door, and it was opened.

        "Come on." Professor Rogers pulled me out of the car. "Head for the school." She whispered in my ear. Her fingers were digging into my shoulder. I glanced towards the woods- it was pitch black. It was going to be a hell of a run through the dense woods.

        "They will know something is wrong." She whispered urgently in my ear. My hand tightened around the knife Damien had given me.

My face turned in horror to her.

Damien was talking to them in a low calm voice. He was trying to talk them into letting us go. Their eyes were fixated on me so they weren't even listening to him. Professor Rogers loosened her hold around my wrist.

"Go," she breathed as low as possible. As if the vampires had heard her, they reacted and lunged for me. Professor Rogers stepped in front of me pushing me backwards away from the snarling vampires. I lifted my knife in defense but Louis and Eric appeared behind me. A vampire lunged for me but Louis intercepted him and pushed him away from me. I turned to see as Professor Rogers thrust her knife into a vampires' chest. One of the vampires managed to slip by and it ran towards me. It shoved me against the SUV. The window started to crack under my weight.