33

PARTIAL
...
..
.

"My name's Charlotte Cardleman and I was a victim of a kidnapping," she said, as she sat on her bed, gripping her hands together tightly to stop them shaking.

When she had asked her father for advice on what to do after letting some important information slip to Isaac Liebchen, Richard Cardleman had told his daughter that she should tell the truth. Or at least part of it. Which was why Isaac was sat opposite her now, still in his school blazer from the day.

She hadn't talked to him about any of it all Christmas, and the first two months back at school consisted of the two of them skirting around the topic, and Isaac avoiding saying her name. Understandable, since he didn't really know what it was.

But now it was March, and she'd had enough. Charlotte felt far to guilty to continue on.

"Some people, they had- have a feud with my boyfriend. I guess they wanted to use me to get to him," she finished, not wanting to go into any more detail. She had endangered one friend in the past, she would not endanger another.

"Who's your boyfriend?" Isaac asked. "Why is he so important?"

"His name is Harry," Charlotte said, smiling as she said his name. Then she shrugged. "He's just a regular guy."

"And where is he now?"

"That's unimportant," Charlotte said, simply. Isaac's face was shocked.

"Charlotte, that's the most important thing ever right now," he said to her, and her name sounded strange in his voice, which began to show hints of a cockney accent shining through. "This guy was the reason you got kidnapped and yet he's not even here for you in the aftermath."

"He's in the army."

"The army? Fighting what war, Charlotte?" Isaac asked her, not harshly.

"Marie," she corrected. "You call me Marie. Until the men who took me are caught, I'm Marie Dubost. But anyway, that's all I can say- I should never have even told you this much and if anyone found out I'd be in so much trouble."

"With the police?"

"Er, sort of," Charlotte hesitated, before nodding quickly. "I mean yes! The police! Witness protection and all that shit."

"Okay," Isaac said, but he sounded unconvinced. Then, he stretched out to reach his school bag, which was on the ground beside the bed. He pulled out a blue project folder. "You're clearly lying to me but it's okay, because you've been through some shit and I'm not entitled to know. Now. Let's work on our campaign."

"Campaign?"

"Head Boy," he said, pointing to himself. Then, he pointed to her. "Head Girl."

Charlotte couldn't help but laugh. "Me? I'm neither popular enough nor well behaved enough for that."

"Well, I have a plan for that," Isaac grinned. "I already hold very high esteem with the senior members of staff, they wouldn't be opposed to me taking the position. You however, you just need to get more involved."

"How?" She asked, half curious, half sceptical.

"How are you with public speaking?" Isaac asked her carefully.

"Isaac? Have you seen the mouth on me?" She laughed. "I could talk for hours."

"I was thinking more reading," Isaac shrugged. His hands subconsciously moved towards the golden cross pin on his blazer. "Bible readings in particular. The worship team could really use more help, I mean it's basically just me and three other people. A face like yours could really stir up interest."

"Interest? By reading scripture?"

"Yes, it's very important," he shrugged. "It also helps that our Headmistress is wanting to improve the Christianness of our school."

"Christianness," Charlotte repeated.

"Shush," he laughed. "Anyway, as for popularity it's not really that important. It's more so making sure nobody has any reason to oppose you. I made a mindmap of all the groups in year twelve, and toon the liberty of identifying who their leader is. Of course, some groups have no leader, but those are the anomalies. If we just get on the good side of all the alpha's, they can influence the votes of their friends."

"I'm starting to like the sound of this to be honest," Charlotte smiled. "D'you know our competition?"

"I wouldn't say we have outright competition, exactly," Isaac laughed. "But there are people who are probably going to run too. Nothing we have to worry about, and if they're chosen it's obviously because they're suited to the job."

"You're right, let's focus on ourselves," Charlotte nodded with a smile. "And the current Head Boy and Head Girl. Wouldn't do any harm to get on their good side."

"Well, David is already an... acquaintance of mine. And Charlie?"

"What?"

"Charlie, our Head Girl?" Isaac prompted. "Also called Charlotte?"

"I thought her name was Jas," Charlotte laughed.

"Oh god, you haven't called her that have you?" Isaac asked, wide eyed.

"No! I've hardly ever spoken to the girl," she admitted, with a shrug. "Never had much reason to."

"Well, she's looking for models for her art project," Isaac informed her. "Tell her you'll help, and volunteer for all the most outrageous things. Even if it means putting acrylic paint in your hair."

"I'll keep that advice in mind," Charlotte smirked.

"I should get going. But remember, next week is World Book Day," he added, as he hopped off the bed, packing his things back into his satchel and draping it across his body. "You're-"

"Alice."

"And I'm-"

"The Mad Hatter," she laughed again, as he walked towards the door.

"Wonderful," he grinned. "I'll show myself out."

.
..
...

ughhh this is crap ok but you'll probs get a double update and next chapter is jUICY

Love you all!

-Amber.