24

BLISS
...
..
.

She couldn't decide whether or not to tell her. Charlotte thought it was the right thing to do- Zara had to know- but for some reason she also thought it was completely the wrong thing. Her friend had already been betrayed by one boy who claimed to love her. It would kill her to know she'd been betrayed by the one she loved back.

But either way, when her shift was over, and she was escorted back to the cellars, she wasn't thrown into the vacuum like most days, in fact, the masked Death Eater dragged her right past it.

"Where are you taking me?" she asked, her heart beating fast as she tried to turn back towards the cellar. Zara was the only thing keeping her sane.

"You've been a little too mouthy to a guest today. Malfoy doesn't think you deserve a friend," the man said with a laugh. "Personally, I think you never did."

"No, please," she breathed, struggling against his tight grip, she could feel her eyes burning. "Please! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, please-"

She didn't know where her strength had come from but with a few scratches and pushes, Charlotte managed to escape the monster's hold. But then she had nothing else to do, nowhere to go. So, she began apologising again, and again, but it didn't stop her being slapped across the face and pushed to the ground and tortured with that horrible spell. It didn't stop her coughing up blood because her throat was raw from screaming and it didn't stop her being thrown into a room all by herself, with nothing but green striped wallpaper that looked like bars on a cage.

~

Love, cough and smoke are hard to hide. And I'm forever glad we didn't hide it.

Harry didn't know why he was torturing himself this way. He'd read that terrible letter countless times since he had received it, the ink was beginning to fade away over particular sentences and words because most times he read them, tears would drown him.

As a matter of fact, Harry did know why he was torturing himself. Because he'd rather feel sad than nothing. And as he sat staring up at the forest sky, the despair was overwhelming. Blissful. A morbid salvation. But in that moment there were no tears, he was stuck stiff as the world slowly destroyed itself piece by piece around him, with countless people suffering and dying, and because of him- because of his recklessness-

"Harry!" He was shocked but he didn't jump. Hermione Granger was standing over him, with a concerned look and a cup of tea, without the milk and sugar. She handed it to him, and he thanked her. "How are you feeling?"

It only took a single look at her for the girl to nod and sigh. Ron was asleep resting after being splinched during their escape from the Ministry and now they would have to camp in the middle of nowhere, moving from place to place. The discomfort wasn't what bothered him.

"Look, I know you were relying on Grimmauld Place- so they all know where to find us," Hermione said quietly. "I'm sorry we couldn't stay."

"Couldn't have been avoided," he shrugged but the reality is that his mind had been reeling since they lost headquarters. He would never know when his love was safe. "I've gone without news for this long already. It's okay."

Hermione leaned her head against his shoulder, sighing once more. It seemed like sighing had become her favourite pastime. "You really love her."

"To bits," he said with a chuckle.

"I'll have to get to know her better, when this is all over," Hermione smiled, and so did he at the thought. But it made him wonder what would happen if this was 'all over'. If they won. And out of no vanity he understood that 'the Chosen One' wouldn't get a moment alone.

He could see the headlines and biographies already. If he survived, he wouldn't have a quiet life for a very long time. And he would survive, because there was no other option for him- he had to see Charlotte again. He had to vouch for Theodore in court, he had to see Zara and apologise for his failure to save her. Because he could have saved her.

"I think you'd get along great," Harry smiled.

.
..
...

Hi guys! Sorry these chapters are getting short lately but it's kinda intentional idk you make your own opinions. (Jokes I've been busy with job hunting and work sooo)

How are you all? Hope you're well- I'm great. I started work at my first ever job yesterday and it was pretty cool except I struggled with the till and made a huuuge mistake which I cringe at but my boss is really nice so it was okay.

QOTD: Have you ever had a job? If so how was your first day?

Please drop a vote and maybe comment if you enjoyed this chapter as I use them as a sort of feedback indicator which is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Amber.