15

WIND
...
..
.

"Play nice."

"I will."

"You're not in work. She's not in school."

"I know. I just hope she does."

"Apparently you're a mean teacher."

"Maybe," the woman's voice laughed. "But at least I'm a good one."

"I bet you are," Richard laughed, too. "You and I both know you're good at... other things."

Charlotte made a fake retching noise as she and Theodore stood on the stairs in her home, eavesdropping into her father's conversation with Mademoiselle Wood, who had come for dinner that day. Neither teen was very eager to see the woman, but they'd said yes for Richard's sake, and for his sake only.

"I'll go and get them," Richard said, after laughing and they heard his footsteps heading their way. Charlotte gave her brother and panicked look, but he simply prodded her forwards, forcing her to walk down the steps. So all Richard saw was two teenagers walking down the stairs. "Ah, kids. There you are. Gretel's just in the dining room."

"Do I call her that?" Charlotte asked, nochalantly, and her father chuckled.

"Well, you can hardly call her Mademoiselle, can you?" he laughed and she smiled sarcastically, before turning to Theodore and rolling her eyes as he did the same. "Come on."

"Maybe she won't be that bad," he said, as Richard turned away from them and disappeared into the dining room. "If he likes her. But... Never mind."

"But she'll never compare?" Charlotte offered, and Theodore nodded. She took his hand and squeezed it gently. "I know. Marilyn was a mother to me too."

And with that, the two of them dropped their hands and entered the dining room. Gretel looked almost entirely different to how she usually did when Charlotte saw her in school. Her scarlet hair was let down and curled away from her face, her makeup slightly more obvious as her lips and cheeks were tinted rouge. Her work outfit was replaced with an emerald crocheted blouse and raven jeans.

And she smiled. The expression seemed foreign on her face as she stood to greet them both. She approached Theodore first.

"You must be Theodore," said Gretel, extending her arms and he shook her hand, confirming her observation. "I've heard so much about you. I'm Gretel Wood."

"Pleased to meet you Gretel," he said, politely and there was a moment of silence when the lady turned to face Charlotte. She stood awkwardly, waiting for a que to speak but didn't quite get the chance.

"Mademoiselle," Charlotte said, blankly, shooting her father a look and both Gretel and Richard laughed awkwardly.

"Call me Gretel, please," she replied, quickly. "Things are different outside of school."

"Well, I certainly hope so," said Richard. "Let's eat, shall we?"

The family and Gretel all settled at the table of four, Theodore and Charlotte opposite each other, Richard in his usual chair at one end of the round table and his girlfriend filling the usually empty seat. Richard had bought this table nine years ago, when the old table for two would not fit four and when Marilyn Nott would sit in the seat opposite Charlotte's father. Theodore seemed to notice this, as he glanced at Charlotte with a quirked eyebrow. She raised one in return.

"So, Theodore," Gretel said after the general conversation of serving food was over. "Is there a name you prefer? I know Charlotte is generally called by her full name-" Charlotte interrupted to note that this only applied in school. "-right, sorry, Charlotte. Anyway, is there a name you prefer, Theodore? Theo, maybe?"