26

SAFE
...
..
.

Charlotte spent hours in the shower. Not by choice- she wanted to get out of the bathroom for most of the time she was there, the steam was suffocating but she was just so filthy that she had no choice. She'd lost track of the time that had passed since she was in this household. The very air she breathed seemed too good to be true.

Theodore seemed to have made breakfast as she washed and he was now nowhere to be seen, most likely having rushed off to Zara's side. She couldn't blame him, her own mind wandered to thoughts of her own love as she knocked back three pills after dressing: one for her adhd, two painkillers for the headaches she knew would come afterwards. The medication would be a shock to her system but not having it was a shock too. She could barely stay still.

Charlotte braced her hands against the counter as her head span. The scent of the breakfast pastries and the steaming coffee was overwhelming her and she had to stop herself from wolfing the whole lot down. She couldn't afford to throw up again and waste medication.

"I am furious with you," a voice said from the doorway and she let out a yell, jumping ten feet off the ground. Her father stood with his arms crossed, and a frown on his face; her heart would have fluttered if it wasn't already suffering palpitations from medicine and shock.

"Don't do that!" she sighed with relief. "You scared me."

"And you think you didn't scare me? Running off like that?" Richard answered and they stood in silence for a moment until she smiled widely and he let out a laugh, and she walked into her father's open arms. "I'm never letting you out of this house again. You're grounded for life and I'm putting a ban on nobility."

"Dad I missed you so much," she said, as he stroked her hair lovingly. "It was so scary- I- I didn't know what would happen to me and- I just I love you so so much."

"I love you too, honey, I love you too," Richard answered her as she sobbed, his own voice breaking slightly. "Don't you worry about a thing, you're safe now- shhh, you're safe with me."

"I don't think I'm ever going to-" her words didn't make it through the sobs. Charlotte felt like she had an army on her tail, and they were inching closer and closer. But at the same time, she felt like the armies were already upon her, a stampede of golden boots on her back, marching relentlessly and not paying the slightest bit of attention to the girl they were breaking. Then her father rubbed her back like he always used to and picked her up off her feet.

"What you need," he told her, as he took her to her bedroom. "Is sleep. And food."

"Theodore gave me an energy potion, I can't sleep," Charlotte muttered as Richard tucked her into bed. "And I cant eat a full meal like this it'll come right back up."

"You're right actually," he said, scratching his head. "Sirius gave us a potion but you need water. Treat thirst first right? I'll be back."

"Dad," Charlotte said, as he moved to leave the room. "Dad, relax. You're doing good."

Richard simply sighed and left the room, leaving the door open as he left, resulting in Charlotte hearing the following conversation from the hallway:

"Morning."
"She's back?"
"Theodore dropped her off."
"Is she okay?"
"No."
"Hey." Pause. "We talked about this, remember? Honey?"
"I know, I know. But she's still not okay."
"Should I go see her?"
"Yes." Kiss. "I love you."
"I love you."

Charlotte quickly shut her eyes as Gretel Woods walked into her bedroom. The woman paused by her bedside, before walking over to her desk, and pulling up the chair.