9

CHLORINE
...
..
.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Charlotte grabbed yet another rock from the ground and flung it, just as Harry opened the window and had to jump out of the way in order not to be hit. It was the middle of a hot night, the streets were sepia toned and the moon was brighter than usual in the sky (when she had looked out of her window earlier, she had mistaken it for a spaceship) and Charlotte Cardleman had a mischievous feeling of adventure within her.

"Lottie," Harry gasped, before picking up the rock and throwing it right back out the window. Charlotte squealed and jumped out of its way, even though it was nowhere near her and she knew he would never really aim for her.

"Hi, Harry," she answered. "Glad it's you, I was afraid I was knocking on your godfather's window for a moment."

"What are you doing here?"

"Hang on," she grinned before jogging over the the doorstep, and picking up the vase she had brought him, full if her favourite roses. "I brought you those flowers I promised."

The smile on Harry's face made her heart melt as she help up the vase, and took the moment to admire his appearance, as sleepy and dishevelled as it may have been.

"Give me a second," he said, finally. "I'll let you in. But you have to be quiet, alright?" Charlotte rolled her eyes and nodded. "No, I'm being serious, everyone's in bed- even I was before you got here!"

"Oh, well then I suppose I'll just leave if I'm causing so much trouble, Romeo," she replied, with a faux sigh, turning her back to him as if about to walk away.

"No, wait, I didn't mean it!"

"Thought so," she cackled, turning back around. "Come on then, I'll hop over the garden fence but you'll have to open the back door."

"Aren't I supposed to be the one throwing rocks at your window?" Harry contemplated five minutes later, after he let her into the house, and they had both flopped down onto his bed. "Me being Romeo and all."

"I don't have a balcony, so either way it wouldn't be completely accurate," she said, looking over at him with a grin. They were lying side by side, connected by two earphones, which were linked to her MP3 player and blared out an Oasis tune. "And you don't know where my window is."

"Maybe you could show me," he proposed. The light was off and the curtains were open wide, in came street and carlights, which illuminated the room dimly. "Just before I leave tomorrow."

Charlotte stomach tightened at this, and she swallowed. "Maybe." Harry glanced at her but she looked up at the ceiling, hoping that would hide her glossy eyes. She could sense his hand creeping closer to hers, but he did not move to take it, only brushing his little finger against her own shyly, before breathing deep and grabbing hold of it.

It was strange, at that moment she had a sudden flashback to her childhood, a time when she and Marilyn were sorting a Cinderella jigsaw puzzle, while Theodore ane her father played, when she began to become impatient, ADHD running wild. Marilyn has simply waved her wand to solve it quickly, much to young Charlotte's delight, but one of the pieces was trapped between the floor and the rug upon which the pair were sat. Charlotte had freed the piece and it had joined the others, and she had experienced an immense satisfaction at how well it fit.

This was how she felt at that moment.

"We should do something," she said, suddenly. "This is our last night together, and I want to make sure that Saturday 31st of August is one we won't forget."