6

STARLIGHT
...
..
.

"Honestly, why does it matter so much?" Flynn started with a laugh as he skated beside Charlotte as she made her way down the street, formerly pristine white top brown with water that had splashed her from a nearby puddle as a car had drove past. "It will dry by the fire."

"It matters because I like him," she cried, tears streaming down her face as the rain poured down. Her heart was beating fast in her chest, and her breathing was shallow, she was on the verge of another one of her nervous breakdowns and she couldn't stop herself. "I really fucking like him, and now all my plans are ruined and I was already running late and I look a complete mess and he's probably waiting and he'll never forgive me!"

"Charlotte, it'll be fine-"

"No, it won't!" Charlotte shouted and Flynn flinched visibly coming to a halt. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he answered. "It's not your fault. Have you got your meds?"

"Yeah, but I don't have any water," she sighed. Flynn reached into his denim backpack and pulled out his own water bottle, handing it to her. She smiled gratefully and took a swig from it, knocking back pills and trying to relax.

"I'm sure he likes you too," Flynn smiled kindly. "He'd be mad not to. Now, why not text your dad, he can pick us up, you can get changed and we'll make it to the cottage in time."

"I can't, he's working. Either way, I just don't understand how this will even work," she sighed, and they continued to walk. "It's far too rainy for a bonfire."

"One hundred plus school blazers, coal, wood and possibly gasoline will be fuel enough," he said, matter of factly. "But I promise, if the flames even start to dim, I'll throw myself in to make it roar again."

"Suicide jokes aren't funny Flynn."

"Who says I'm joking?" he asked. "Seriously, if it means keeping the romantic mood for you and lover boy alive, I'll do anything."

"You embarrass me."

"You love me."

"You're an idiot."

"You're right," Flynn smiled as they reached the bottom of the hill on top of which the Afasy's cottage stood. "But you still love me. Anyway, last one up the hill is a rotten egg!"

"God, how old are you?" Charlotte laughed, but ran after him anyway, a small part of her happy that her appearance was ruined or else she'd be far too occupied with keeping herself presentable to enjoy this small moment of joy.

By the time she caught up with her friend, he was already leaning against the wall of the cottage, awaiting her arrival. "You should knock."

So she did, and when Harry opened the door, looking perfect as ever, a small part of her wondered what he thought of her appearance as she stood their, muddy, wet and winded from her run up the hill.

"Hi," she grinned, moving to embrace him but thinking better of it. "Sorry, I'm super dirty."

"I don't mind," Harry smiled, pulling her into a quick hug and she truly wished it would have lasted longer.

"This is Flynn," Charlotte said, gesturing to her friend who waved from behind her.

"I'm only coming along so I can throw myself in the flames if things go wrong," Flynn said, reaching forwards to shake Harry's hand, before cracking up. "Look at your face! I'm only joking- I go to the school too."