36

ALFIE CARDLEMAN-WOODS
...
..
.

Everybody was panicking except for Flynn O'Riley, who calmly sat on the couch across from Charlotte, Gretel and Richard, who were all taking deep breaths in time with one another. The utter stress of birth didn't seem to bother him, as Charlotte's friend calmly rang for an ambulance.

"Can you see a head?" Flynn asked suddenly, still on the line.

"What?" Gretel said, in a strained voice.

"Can you see the baby's head?" Flynn repeated simply, with a shrug.

"Never mind seeing it- I can feel it!" Gretel shouted, face almost as red as her hair. "I can feel it!"

"Yeah, the lady specifically asked if we could see it," Flynn argued.

"Flynn you're no help," Charlotte groaned, and her friend showed an expression of mock fear.

"For goodness sake, I'll check," Richard said, rolling up the sleeves of his plaid chair, before sliding off the couch to check. When he re emerged, he nodded quickly. "Looks like our baby is ginger."

"For God's sake Dad," Charlotte laughed, despite the heavy beating of her heart as Gretel let out yet another cry.

"How has it happened so fast- it's not meant to happen so fast!" The woman panicked, clutching onto Charlotte's hand with unreasonable strength.

"Lady says the ambulance will be here in three minutes," Flynn said, hanging up the phone. "You're probably going to have a home-birth."

"No!" Richard shouted, suddenly. "She needs a hospital- she needs a hospital!"

"I was joking!"

"Dad," Charlotte said, firmly, realising what was behind his panic. Her own mother had died in childbirth seventeen years ago, through issues with the placenta, rather than the baby, and blood loss eventually claimed the late Charlotte Dubost's life. "Dad, calm down. History is not going to repeat itself."

"Just- where's this bloody ambulance?" Richard answered, and almost immediately, sirens were heard from the road outside.

Charlotte rushed to open the door just as the ambulance pulled up, and within a blink of an eye, they were taken to the hospital, Richard and Gretel disappeared into the maternity ward and Charlotte and Flynn were left alone in the waiting room, with Theodore arriving two hours later, escorted by Harry.

"Sorry I'm late," Theodore said, as Charlotte greeted him with a hug and kisses to his cheeks. "I got lost in the underground, Harry had to come and find me."

"Aw, our knight in shining armour, as usual," Charlotte winked, and Harry blushed brightly. "We don't know how long it's going to take, so guys, don't have to stick around."

"I don't have my keys," Flynn shrugged. "Might as well stay."

"And I have nothing better to do," Harry grinned. Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a bag of plastic threads, a wide grin on his face. "I brought scoobies."

"Why not?" Charlotte laughed, taking the bag he offered her. "Shall we make a bracelet or a necklace?"

"Let's be a bit risky," Harry laughed, wiggling his eyebrows. "Let's try rings."

"Bleurgh," Flynn laughed, pretending to put a finger down his throat. "You two are perfect for each other."

~