32

LEARNING THEORY
...
..
.

"Well," the midwife said, beaming at all of them as they stared at the ultrasound screen. "Looks like you have a boy!"

"Damn it," Charlotte grinned. "Now I guess we can't call it Charlotte Cardleman the second."

"Charlotte Cardleman?" The white haired midwife asked, with a smile.

"An old friend of Marie's," Richard laughed as he stood by Gretel's side, their hands intertwined. Gretel gave Charlotte a knowing smile, as they tried to contain their laughter.

As the midwife left the room to print the scan, the family was left alone, admiring the image of the unborn baby moving on the screen. Gretel wiped away the gel with a towel that had been left for her.

"So," Charlotte asked, leaning back against the wall as her father kissed Gretel's forehead. "Names?"

"Well- I mean, if you're okay with it, Rich- I already one in mind," Gretel said, with a smile.

"Well I doubt you're gonna beat my suggestion," Richard laughed. "I want to call him Applecrombie Tigerjungle."

"Dad," Charlotte cringed, but laughed anyway.

"Gosh, you've put me to shame, how could we go with anything other than that," Gretel laughed. "To think I was about to suggest a name as common as Alfie."

"Oh my god!" Charlotte involuntarily screeched. "Baby Alfie! That's so cute!"

"No Applecrombie, then," Richard pouted. "Joking- Alfie is wonderful."

"I can't wait for May," Charlotte grinned. "I can't wait to meet him."

_

It was now the Christmas Holidays, and Charlotte was spending most of her time with Flynn, or Isaac, or Flynn and Isaac. Isaac Liebchen was an incredibly kind boy, she had noticed, and he often kept her focused, when her ADHD tried to do otherwise. She had grown to trust and love the boy- yet she didn't plan on telling him anything more than he needed to know. 

Her name was Marie Dubost. She was from Brighton but moved up to London for her dad's new job. She attends St Casimir's Church of England High School and is retaking lower sixth form after a year of travelling.

That was all.

"What is the point in all this stupid theory?" Charlotte groaned, lightly banging her head against the library table. "You either know how to drive, or you don't and I know how to drive! I don't need this."

Isaac laughed gently, putting a finger to his lips- they weren't in the silent area but she supposed people were still working.

"You do need it," he said, his voice a lot quieter than hers, before he frowned. "Unless you want to end up like our poor Princess."

"Our Princess? Who, Anne?"

"No," he said with a quizzical look. "Diana? She died in a car crash- Paris, August 31st? Surely you knew?"

"'Course, yeah, I just forgot," she said, but Charlotte couldn't hide the shock on her face. Diana- Britain's most loved Princess had died and she hadn't heard a single thing about it.

"Where have you been, Marie? You're so behind on, well, everything," Isaac said.

"Er, I think you'll find I'm top of the class in everything!"

"That's not what I meant and you know it," Isaac frowned. Then he let out a laugh. "You're an exceptionally clever girl, Marie- why don't you just watch the bloody news?"

"Because I haven't had access to the bloody news!" She snapped. "And my name isn't fucking Marie!"

Isaac's face was shocked, and so was Charlotte's. She clasped a hand over her mouth and stood abruptly, gathering her books and shoving them into her satchel.

"Wait, Marie- I mean- just wait, let's talk about this," Isaac offered, kindly, reaching over to take her hand. "Sit down. Tell me your name."

"Just... don't follow me, Isaac," she said, before letting go of his hand, and leaving.

.
..
...

Well shit.

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well and that you had a great Christmas/New Years! It's been a while since I updated but you've had a lot of updates for Caecus so hopefully that makes up for it!

Baby Alfie's arrival is getting closer and a lot of exciting stuff is gonna be happening soon so I hope y'all stick around! And yeah this chapter is super short I'm sorry it's kinda a filler

QOTD: any cult classic film recommendations I should watch?
AOTD: I'm currently watching the back to the future series for the first time since it's on Netflix and I'm really enjoying it!

-Amber.