Chapter 25: Sweet Sorrows (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

The next day made things worse, if that were even possible. It started with the delivery of supplies from Siya's recent travels to their chambers. Jaswant Singh had already left; the men would spend hours closeted in Ratan Singh's private state room over the next days. With the gift men had that was usually denied to women, they would carve out their personal lives from the requirements of the state and their duties, to survive long periods of togetherness. Despite those times being fraught with tension and internal conflicts, Ratan Singh had called for truce, requesting that all concerned tried to put their personal differences aside to deal with the  important concerns facing them. In a clever political manoeuvre, Rana Vijayendra had sent an emissary. He maintained he had had no idea of his son's nefarious intents and he had only discovered about his activities after the accounts of Sanyogghad. He claimed that he would himself have handed his discredited son over to his allies, but Devendra had allegedly vanished. 

He was aided by the fact that the army Devendra had commanded could not be traced to the official Rathore forces. None of the Shekhawat or Udawat men, fell for this diversionary ruse. However, they were hamstrung, as to announce immediate war on the Rathores would mean that they would appear the aggressors to other allies. Also, while Ratan Singh now yielded far more power and clout, being in possession of three of the maps, there was still the Udawat portion that was in the control of the Rathores. With Udawgunj currently overrun by hostile forces, the Rathores could enter into an alliance there if Shikharpur declared open war. Whilst all parties were aware that until the code was provided, the supply chain being looted was almost impossible, the risk of the Rathores clubbing together with their other foes could lead to battles that could stretch them and cause privation for their people. Now that they had Aaryan back, a lot of possibilities previously denied to them suddenly became feasible, but any option they adopted, would need to be carefully thought out and planned intricately. Aaryan still refused to disclose the whereabouts of the key code and Ratan Singh did not press him. He saw that Aaryan suspected foul play from within, or at least wanted to guard against it, so he let this matter rest for the present.

It was also understood following Ratan Singh's dictate that the question of whatever had happened between Keerti and Siya would not currently form the nucleus of their attention. Keerti was Raunak's wife and Jaswant Singh's child and there was no easy solution. Jaswant Singh still harboured resentment against Aaryan, but he was mostly at the mercy of his far more powerful benefactors, and Aaryan was not only the cherished returned son, but the darling of the masses too. It would be folly to refuse to bow down to Ratan Singh's will and Jaswant Singh would not make such a mistake. Both Raunak and Aaryan too found themselves in a very difficult position. Aaryan would nottake back his allegations against Keerti and was fierce in his defence of Siya's intentions and morals both, and Raunak felt obliged to stand by his wife while she maintained her innocence. Both for the time being called a temporary cease-fire of hostilities whilst the pressing needs of their war council prevailed. In any case, there was much to do, what with rounds of endless planning and then for Aaryan to make practical arrangements for his men. Aaryan also insisted that his own men would be stationed in the Saamvant's chambers to guard Siya. This had almost caused an open renewal of antagonism with Jaswant Singh, but once more, Ratan Singh sided with Aaryan. The irony of the situation was not lost on anyone - it would be Aaryan's men guarding the same girl he had taken hostage. But Aaryan was in deadly earnest about Siya's security and Jaswant Singh had to yet again, unwillingly concede this round to Aaryan.

It was some of these same men who carried in chests of the clothes from the fair, the carefully packed away puppets, and all her trinkets gifted to her Aaryan, together with the prayer plate she had so enthusiastically bought that day. Seeing it all again made Siya tear up, and when Padmavati suggested that the things were disposed off, as they would remind her of difficult times, Siya's impassioned protests stunned her and Vijaya. It was apparent that rather than wanting to get away from the memories; Siya was clinging on to them. Her mothers could see that she was not sleeping well; she had barely eaten since she was back, and there was a haunted look in her eyes, which only lifted when Aaryan was mentioned. While they did not know, she stayed up at nights crying, sometimes clutching the puppets, or looking at the pretty baubles he had bought her, pining for him.