Chapter 21: Road to Renascence (Part 1)

Siya looked at the thronging crowds milling around what was termed a fair but was effectively an advanced version of an energetic marketplace. It was a simple rustic affair, but one that teemed with life and zest. Siya stayed close to Aaryan; her misgivings about being with strange people beset her as they approached. In the past, Siya would have run into the crowd, gleefully wanting to sample all the amusements on offer, but she felt self-conscious and uncertain. However, having Aaryan by her side like a rampart, made her feel secure enough to continue. He had once more lent her one of his shawl-like robes that on her, was large enough to provide sufficient cover, helping her hide the worst of the scratches and bites. She had her head covered with her mismatched 'dupatta', but most people were busy enough in their activities to not take too much notice of them. Also, Aaryan sensibly kept them to the parts not too overrun, steering them through to less oppressive locations facilely. His men seemed to have been behind them for a short while but as Punarjatpur* approached, they all seemed to disperse. Aaryan seemed vague on their whereabouts, saying that they had various matters to attend to. He cut an imposing figure with his sheathed sword by his side, once more in the guise of the darkly garbed chevalier. He kept up a lighthearted conversation with her, sensitive to her present state, but not letting herself, or him, unhealthily dwell on it.

Aaryan was intent on ensuring that they bought some decent clothes for Siya. He had had enough of feeling guilty about the state of her dress, in addition to the other inculpation he laid at his own door. At least this was something he could easily fix, he reasoned. Leading her to a stall strewn with a wide collection of garments, which tenacious ladies were haggling over, they managed to nab a spot. Siya was diverted, as he had hoped she would be. She was looking at some simple clothes, not dissimilar to the ones she was wearing. Aaryan had seen her look at the more expensive ranges but she only sent those a cursory glance. She picked up a handful of simple blouses and skirts with their matching scarves, literally enough to keep her going for a few days. Even then she looked uncomfortable, bothered by the fact that she had no means to purchase anything. Aaryan ignored the ones she had picked out and instead pointed to a fetching ensemble in deep turquoise with delicate patterns and intricate thread work. Siya immediately shook her head, as the trader went to retrieve it with alacrity, sensing rich pickings.

"Aaryan, we don't need that - it's too fine and will be expensive."

"Siya, stop worrying. I may be on the run but I have enough money, for God's sake! For days, you have been forced to wear awful things. We don't need to hide anymore."

This caused her to slightly blanch, as if reminding her that she was trying to hide the marks. Aaryan smiled at her reassuringly, ignoring her low voiced protests as he tried to get the attentive trader to show him rich fabrics in jeweled colours. He knew Siya was pulled towards some of the lovely pieces, but would resist. He was mildly exasperated – unlike a lot of women from fine houses, she would never think to simply take what he offered as her due. She expressed her disapproval when he began asking for certain shades by taking a step back and glancing away in annoyance, nibbling her bottom lip as she had done before when worried. Aaryan had to look away very quickly; she had no idea of the effect her innocent actions had on his libido or control. Instead he leaned in and conspiratorially whispered something to the shopkeeper. By the time Siya moved closer again he had finished whatever he had said. He was having the simple clothes packed up, the others in a careful pile to one side. Contrarily, Siya was slightly disappointed. The outfits he had selected were glorious, but she wasn't grasping, and it was best she hadn't weakened. She asked Aaryan about bolstering his own dwindled supplies and he laughingly said it wouldn't take them long at all. They began to go towards a different stand, which stocked men's tunics and other accouterments, but a booth selling bangles lay in the way, always a popular fixture at such events.