Chapter 15: The Paths of the Righteous (Part 2)

They barely spoke after their fraught exchange and Aaryan set a hard pace, but not as punishing as their first journey. When the morning sun was high, they came upon a compact but relatively busy settlement and Aaryan explained that they would quickly stop there to refresh themselves and Veer. Siya simply nodded; she was listless and dull. Every step of this journey to their next destination lay heavy on her. Aaryan kept shooting her concerned glances and seemed as if he wanted to say something, but would catch himself and restrain the words of reassurance he wanted to offer, but couldn't. They stayed to the slightly less busier part of the hamlet and Aaryan offered a casually friendly greeting to the man they bought some fodder for Veer from and to another who sold them food.

"So what news nowadays of Sanyogghad?* I have not been awhile and it is nice to see the place bustling." His keen eyes stayed watchful for signs of anything unusual around them.

The villager was chatty. "Indeed, friend. Things are steady. They were in fact better but well, since that unit of soldiers arrived to camp nearby some days ago, a little uncertainty has settled."

Aaryan was immediately alert and Siya too stiffened. "Soldiers? Unusual in these parts nowadays, no? Whose men are they? Rana Ratan Singh's or the Saamvant's?"

"That is the thing. We know not, brother. They wear no known uniform and bear no crest. They don't have any sigil and they are hard men- harsh and demanding as they pass here. If they were not an organised troop, you could mistake them for mercenaries. They dress in uniform but not one we can recognise and no one dare ask them much. Not the friendly sort if you catch my drift. They are camped nearby where the old headquarters of the platoon from the time the Ranawats before they handed over the area to the Shekhawats used to be. Apparently their Leader is using what stands of the building, and the rest are camped outside. Our men are not allowed, except to take the odd supplies and of course the women as they are all rather wild and......"

He suddenly reaslised that Siya also listened and stopped, embarrassed. Aaryan wore a slight frown as he processed this news. Before he could ask anything further, the sound of hoof beats was heard and they looked up to see a file of riders clad in grey and black burst upon the narrow street, too fast and carelessly for the densely packed area. Aaryan and Siya were at a short distance to them and Aaryan quickly pulled Siya aside, busying himself with Veer but keeping a wary eye on the soldiers, not able to recognise their uniforms as the man had said but knowing that these would be part of the men he and his band would have to hunt soon. Here was a phantom army in the area he had created a false trail in for his traitor, and it could be no coincidence.

Whilst his mind churned all this through at his usual lightning speed, commotion erupted at the other end. A small child had been playing on the side of the street and one of the negligent riders had almost run him over, causing the panicked father to shout in terror for his child, and just managing to avert disaster by snatching the child out of harm's way. In his extreme agitation, the poor man screamed out curses at the cavalryman and in the next moment, he was surrounded and hauled before the virulent cadets. Aaryan tensed at witnessing this and exchanged a quick look with Siya, which told them both that as hard as it would be, they must stay out of this and not draw attention to themselves. However, a crowd was building up and Aaryan seemed helplessly drawn to its fringes, Siya in tow, not able to cravenly ride away, despite knowing there was little he could do.

The captured father was pitifully stood before the hard faced group of riders, trying to plead with them for mercy and explaining that his reaction had been merely born of mindless fear for his child. However, they only laughed and taunted, one of them in particular; a heavy loutish fellow, especially seeming to enjoy this turn of events. They were also making disparaging remarks about the man and his family, especially his daughters, causing everyone to shift uncomfortably and Aaryan to clench his fists in rage, until Siya laid a gentle but warning hand on the bunched up muscles of his arm. It was clear that the soldiers wanted some wolfish entertainment, and their inhuman verdict was that the man would be flogged to teach the people of Sanyogghad a lesson that they should not resist the authority of their betters.