Chapter 7: Smoke & Mirrors (Part 2)

AARYAN'S CHAMBERS

Aaryan was ready. He deliberately kept the room shrouded in darkness as he shrugged a dark cloak over himself, becoming an almost indistinguishable blur where he stood. He lit a small candle that cast just enough light on the desk to illuminate the contents son the teak surface.

"Where is she?" he thought impatiently. "I gave her perfectly clear instructions and she is still not here." He peered into the stillness of the deepening twilight outside with suppressed irritation and tried to stop dwelling on the look on Siya's face earlier when he had cruelly rejected her innocent gesture of friendliness. "It is for the best." He repeated the phrase he had recently practiced so diligently. He knew it was better he did not see or speak to her. She had enough to contend with and if he was seen with her before his departure, she would only face more suspicion. "And of course it has nothing to do with not having the courage to face her for the last time, knowing what you have done?" he taunted himself. "You didn't want to see those big eyes full of innocent pleasure at seeing you, her friend, knowing that tomorrow she will think of you just like everyone else - the arrant traitor, a despicable being who feigned madness to escape his punishment, stealing as he went?" He viciously reined his erratic thoughts in. His course was set and he had to stay alert and attentive. "The sooner Keerti arrives, the sooner we can get this underway," he muttered under his breath.

Just then he heard hesitant footsteps and the door slowly opened. Now that she was here, an unusual reticence beset Aaryan. He kept his back towards Keerti, but called out softly,

"Welcome Princess, here you are. You took your time. You know how important today is. Can we get started so I can leave this dratted prison as soon as possible?"

Hearing a soft gasp, some form of instinct that had always guided him unerringly, vigorously kicked in. Something was wrong and as he turned to face the woman he had arranged to meet, he knew something momentous was going to happen. Siya stood before him, a lantern raised slightly, casting a soft glow around her lovely face, dominated by her too large eyes, reflecting horrified shock. His own eyes widened, and they both seemed turned to stone, simply staring at each other stupefied. It was one of those moments that seemed to have no beginning and no end; it was transient, and yet stretched endlessly. He wondered frantically if he could pretend madness again but he knew that she would never fall for that. Not now that she had seem him like this, and given his greeting to her, believing her to be Keerti.

He made an involuntary movement that seemed to break the spell that had been cast, making the lantern tremble in her shaking hands. She opened her mouth to scream, but Aaryan rushed forward with his incredible reflexes kicking in. The next instant, Siya felt his hand over her mouth and saw the flash of cold steel glint in his hand. She dropped the lantern but the dagger he brandished almost out of thin air froze her into absolute stillness. Her head reeled as she hysterically wondered if she might be hallucinating. But there was no mistaking the sharp intelligence in the eyes staring into hers, trying to give her some message, or the hand over her mouth, firm if not punishing. She was not drugged, this was too different from what she had recently experienced. She tried to tamp down her overwhelming shock and fright to focus on his words.

"You need to be very quiet, Siya. Please don't make a sound."

Aaryan felt like he saw himself from outside his own body. His mind flashed back to his lengthy conversation with Keerti where he had urged utmost caution, explaining that if they were seen by anyone, he would be forced to kill, which in turn would cause complications and risk more scrutiny on his absconding. She had sagely nodded. Suddenly Aaryan realised the extent of her duplicity. She had deliberately sent her sister here, knowing that he would have to silence her forever, or risk her raising alarm within the Palace, and putting an end to everything he had worked towards for far too long. His mind worked furiously; he thought of imprisoning her, leaving her captive until she was rescued, by when he would have fled. Then it came to him in a flash of understanding. Her diabolical sister would not allow that. Should he truss her up like a sacrificial lamb, he would be leading her to the slaughter, just as if he were to slice that knife across her throat. He shut his eyes momentarily as despair swamped him. He had already underestimated Keerti. He knew with chilling certainty that should he not kill her, Siya would die, or suffer worse, the blame being laid at his door regardless. Keerti had played a masterstroke.