Chapter 1: Angels & Demons

1804: SHIKHAR MAHAL, SHIKHARPUR, MARWAR

The riders rode ahead of the somewhat ponderously slow carriages, impatient in the final leg of their journey to keep up with the accompanying women folk . The majestic gates of Shikhar Mahal, both a beautiful palace and formidable fortress, housing the powerful Shekhawats, rulers of the principality named tangentially after them, were flung open once the identity of those seeking entry was confirmed. The lead rider dismounted and was greeted by Suchitra Shekhawat herself, smiling benevolently, flanked by her sister in law Surekha, and eldest daughter in law, Pratibha, who carried the customary ritual accouterments to greet their guests.

Suchitra extended the welcome appropriate for "Saamvant"* Jaswant Singh Udawat. The Saamvant was an important ally to her husband due to the services he had rendered to the Shekhawat banner, his excellent pedigree and connections in attendance and also due to his position as one of the guardians of the secret essential to the Empire. Jaswant Singh Udawat was no brilliant statesman or even Commander, but he was steadfast and loyal to Rana Ratan Singh Shekhawat and his cause, and had paid for his loyalty with the loss of men and wealth, and even his home. Thus, he had to be brought into the fold and his lost principality, which was of strategic importance to their Eastern boundaries, had to be reclaimed from the marauding invaders who had struck in stealth to encroach, causing the fearful Saamvant to evacuate with his family before the rebels overran their relatively modest Palace and stronghold. It was a shame, Suchitra mused idly, whilst engaging automatically in niceties, that there was no one capable enough in her husband's army anymore who could storm and retake Udawgunj immediately. If only... and she pulled herself up short there, knowing that her endless regrets about Aaryan were fruitless at this point.

A carriage trundled through and from it emerged an astoundingly beautiful woman and a young girl. Suchitra heard Surekha muttering in the background about how it was typical that Jaswant Singh should have travelled ahead with "her" and shot her sister in law a warning glance to silence her inappropriate comments, lest they be overheard. Keeping her smile in place but with a guarded look in her eyes, Suchitra made to greet Padmavati Udawat, Jaswant Udawat's second wife, who brought with her the whiff of scandal that always followed her. Padmavati returned the greetings warmly, and if she saw the clear derision in Surekha's face, or the furtive look she exchanged with Pratibha, she gave no outward sign of it. Suchitra's eyes went to the girl who had alighted with Padmavati, assuming her to be her daughter, but struck by the lack of resemblance in the pretty but placid features, and lowered eyes.

"And this must be your lovely daughter, Siya? I do not believe I have ever seen her before?" Suchitra queried, struck by the composed and still manner of the girl despite her outward shyness.

"Oh, this is my daughter indeed, but the younger one, Keerti. Siya follows; she likes to stick to her Vijaya Maa as Keerti does to me. Didi likes Siya's high spirits and she tires me on long journeys. My Keerti is much better company for me." She smiled with genuine affection at her stepdaughter, who also smiled back shyly. Suchitra masked her surprise but Surekha characteristically could not stop her unthinking remarks.

"Oh! How strange, Jiji. They seem to be like us, with me seeming more Raunak's mother and you of course......" she trailed off at the sharp glance from Suchitra; the exchange causing an awkward silence to descend and an interested expression to emerge on Keerti's face. Padmavati covered up the pause as if nothing had been said and just then, another carriage pulled through the gates. Before it had even come to a real halt, the doors were yanked open, and a body practically spilled out, almost tumbling to the floor, tripping over her own feet in her haste. Jaswant Singh clutched at the impatient occupant who was so eager to dismount, admonishing her fondly to be careful. Padmavati shook her head with a slight smile and Keerti looked on with masked mild irritation.