Chapter 10: Serendipity (Part 2)

The candlelight twinned with the moonlight pouring through the beautifully etched windows of the Haveli, casting an almost ethereal glow around Siya as she balanced the long neck of the 'tanpura'* against her shoulder, her fingers skilfully plucking the strings. Aaryan was spellbound. He had once before been moved by another performance she had given, and had hated how she made him feel, but today, the melody she evoked was a soothing balm over his long-troubled spirits. He knew it was foolish but after years of tribulation and captivity, he was enjoying this sweet taste of freedom. Whenever he had visualised breaking free, he had never imagined he would be other than alone. But it seemed fate had other plans for him; only he had never anticipated that it would have sent its portent in such enchanting form.

A soft smile tugged at the corners of Aaryan's mouth as he recalled their tempestuous journey so far. After Sushena's departure and their reluctant truce, they had tried to maintain their hard- won fragile peace. However, soon they had not had to try at all. Aaryan marvelled at how easily they lapsed into an easy camaraderie, redolent of his time playing her friend at the Palace, but now he did not have to pretend insanity and she did not have to treat him like an addled child. The first few hours were strained. Siya looked at him like a wounded doe, and he tried hard to stifle the protective urges she stirred within him. They settled for the mundane at first. She examined the much needed supplies that Sushena had delivered, clinging to some vestige of normality to ease the strain she felt. She put away the rations, nervously keeping a wary eye on him, and reacting with shock when he tried to lighten things by making a big play for the kitchen knives. He said he would stand guard over the knives incase one of her murderous rages overtook her again. After a stunned moment, she involuntarily gave in to a fit of giggles at his mock serious expression, but dancing eyes. Seeing her laugh seemed to have a magical effect on Aaryan. Something in him was unlocked, allowing his caged spirits to soar. He laughed too but very soon, concern clouded her eyes. She glanced at the makeshift bandage on his arm with a shamefaced expression, hesitatingly suggesting that if there was some medicine, he should see to the cut on his arm. This led to a fresh bout of teasing on his part, with him asking her if she was feeling guilty at her violent ways. She replied with spirit that it was the least he deserved after kidnapping her, but she did not want an ailing patient to look after. Neither was really fooled, although laughter provided a good foil for the real emotions behind those interactions.

After the brief foray into the kitchen, resulting in Siya putting together a simple and hurried breakfast, she asked with trepidation, whether she could explore the Haveli. There was a slight tense moment where Aaryan studied her keenly, trying to detect if she plotted another escape, but he solved the problem by saying he would escort her. She looked slightly chagrined at that, renewing his suspicions, but capitulated easily enough. She was soon occupied in exclaiming with delight at the lovely building, designed with such care, in this wilderness. Her fingers lovingly stroked the sandstone columns and he opened various doors for her, most of them displaying contents blanketed with sheets to protect them from dust and other damage. However, she swiftly spotted the limited but decent collection of musical instruments mounted on the wall of one chamber, clearly designed for relaxation. Her eyes lit up, and she clapped her hands like an excited child at the instruments. She asked to borrow the 'sitar' and before he could reply, she stood next to the bracket holding it to the wall. However, her face fell on realising that the auxiliary resonance strings were damaged, the tuning pegs near the head coming loose. Aaryan hated seeing her crestfallen face but she noticed the 'tabla'** mounted on the other wall, and the tanpura on yet another. Examining the tanpura proved much more favourable, and she shortly held the precious contraption after Aaryan freed it from its catch in the wall. He vaguely wondered if he should warn her that they were in hiding but told himself that they were in the middle of nowhere, with hardly a soul who came this way. He firmly suppressed his realisation that he was unwilling to see her face fall in disappointment if he denied her the simple enjoyment, and even more so, the gratification he would get from watching her play.

Dark Knight [A Wattpad Featured Story]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें