Chapter 43: Part One: Leaving The Hospital

Chapter 43: PART ONE: Leaving the Hospital.

When we were leaving the hospital I was covering my face with my jacket I had brought.

I got in the car with my parents help and laid in the back seat with my drowsy body sprawled out everywhere.

“Hunny, are you alright?” My mother asked me.

I turned away from her covering my face.

When we got to the house I got a call from Mason.

“Hello?” I answered sniffling.

“Nadine, I wanted to tell you that I can pay for surgery for your face if you want?” Mason said.

I started balling.

“No, stop trying to help me, please just leave me alone.”

“I’m sorry.” He said hanging up.

5 months later He called again.

He had been calling like twice a week every month.

My face hadn’t gotten any better, and I was doing school online.

I stopped being friends with everyone I was friends with and the only person I talked to outside of my parents was Mason, but I never actually saw him, we just talked on the phone.

I didn’t even invite him over for my birthday.

One day he called sounding distraught.

“What’s wrong Mason?” I asked, worried.

“Elaine wrote me a letter.” He said.

“That’s good right?” I asked.

“No! It isn’t.” He said crying.

“Mason, what’d it say?” I asked, apprehensive.

He didn’t say anything for a long time.

“Mason? What’d it say?” I repeated, slowly.

“I’ll read it to you.” He said very slow and very, very depressed sounding.

“Dear Mason, I’m writing this letter to let you know that I decided to stay with Sam, (the guy from the bar.) He’s really sweet and he’s better in bed than you (sorry.) I never loved you sweetie,” Mason’s voice cracked when he said the last part. “I just used you for your body, and now that I found someone that’s better than you, a lot better actually, I’m gonna just ditch you and get with him ok? Look at the bright side, now you can get with your ex. BYE!” He said, crying.

He was crying hysterically.

“Mason?” I asked.

“What?” He answered, gasping for air.

“I’m coming to see you.” I said.

I ran out the front door and to my car Mason bought me for my 18th birthday, I started the car and sped to his house.

That dream I had 5 months ago about Mason killing himself, just made me think, I couldn’t, I wouldn’t let him do that to himself.

When I got there I ran inside almost falling over the stone pathway that led to his steps.

Slamming open the door I ran to Mason and gave him a huge hug.

He was crying.

“Nadine, it’s so good to see you.” He said.

I could smell alcohol on his breath.

I helped him to his room and he passed out on the bed.

He was holding what I guessed was her dress.

I gave his sleeping body and sympathetic smile and laid beside him.

Getting under the covers with him, I cuddled with him.

“It’s ok.” I said to him, kissing his head.

I missed him a lot, it was good to see him, I hadn’t seen him in 5 months.