Chapter 2: Silent Treatment

Chapter 2:

It was a quiet ride home and when we got there they both walked over to my car door and helped me out by grabbing ahold of my arms and walking me to the front door.

After helping me to my bed in my room my mom and dad sat at the end of my bed.

“Nadine, it’s going to be alright, you’re just sick with the flu.” My father said flashing me a sympathetic smile as he patted my knee.

My mom didn’t say anything but she nodded smiling a little also.

I could tell she was going to cry because her face turned red and her eyes got puffy.

She stood up and briskly walked out of my room.

My dad sniffled but no tears were coming.

He was so strong; I knew it was killing him, because I’m so much like him and it was killing me.

“I love you sweetheart and I’m sorry you’re sick, you’ll be better soon I promise.” He said leaning in and kissing my forehead.

“I love you too dad.” I told him and his lip quivered before standing up and walking to my door.

“You’re such a big girl. I’m so proud of you.” He said as his voice cracked, he walked out of the room the rest of the way leaving the door open behind him.

I listened intently trying to see if I heard them.

It was only a few minutes when I started to get tired but I tried to stay awake.

My eyes felt heavy and my head started feeling worse.

Glancing over at my clock and seeing it was 10:30 I allowed my eyes to close.

It was in the middle of the night when I woke up again, I looked over at my alarm clock once more to see it was 1:47 in the morning.

It was then I realized I heard yelling.

I slowly got up from my bed and crept over to my mom and dad’s door that was down the long hall and to the right.

Well my dizziness was gone, maybe I was getting better.

Pressing my ear to the door I listened in on their conversation.

“Don! I know she has it that’s how my parents died! The tumor got too big and it was too late, for both of them! I’m lucky I didn’t get it and you’re lucky you didn’t, but now our daughter has it!”

“Your mom died like that! Your family has a history of cancer too!” My mom screamed.

Then I heard my mom crying.

My mom never told me her parents died from brain cancer, and I wondered why. This was even more of a chance I had it.

“The doctor said she might just have stomach flu!” My dad said gently.

“Don stop being stupid it’s obvious that’s what she has!” My mom said raising her voice a bit.

“Hunny, we need to pray, that she is going to be ok.” My dad said his voice cracking.

“Ok.” My mother said calming down.

I stood up and walked back into my room quietly shutting the door behind me.

Lying down in my bed I started to cry.

I had cancer, I couldn’t believe it.

I cried myself to sleep that night and woke up the next morning to someone shaking me violently.

“Nadine, hunny, wake up.” My mother said as I opened my eyes.

I got up from my bed and stretched my toes on my soft pink rug.

All of a sudden my head started throbbing and I felt dizzy again.

“Ahh!” I shouted grabbing the back of my head.

I quickly sat back down on my bed again and my mom ran to me.

“Are you alright hunny?” She asked me looking really concerned.

“My head started hurting when I stood up.” I said with a groan.

“You should stay home today Nadine.” She said grabbing hold of my hand.

Tears filled her eyes as she stood up looking down at me.

“Ok.” I answered nodding as I laid my head back down on the pillow.

My mother left the room with her head down.

I sighed and started crying again.

It was like my mom and dad didn’t want to talk about it. It wasn’t my fault if I had brain cancer.

They should be helping me feel better not completely avoiding the whole subject, I mean this was serious.

Maybe they just didn’t want to believe it.

I didn’t want to believe it either but if it was really happening then I’d have to, and so would they.