Chapter 34: Drive

Chapter 34:

Nadine’s POV:

We got in our seats and Leighton sat to the right of Mason and Mason sat to the right of me.

Quietly opening my bag of skittles I watched the previews for other movies.

Mason put his arm on the back of my seat and I leaned over to see Leighton and stuck my tongue out at him.

His eyebrows furrowed down and I smiled and looked toward the screen again.

The movie started and I was kissing Mason but listening intently to what was happening in the movie.

“Love you.” I said pulling away for air.

He was kissing my neck and stopped to reply to my “Love you”

"You are so beautiful" He whispered in my ear, his hot breath on my ear made me get goose bumps all over.

  “Can I have some of that popcorn?” I asked him.

He pulled away and looked at me like I was crazy.

“What?” I asked pouting.

“You said you didn’t want any.” He said confused.

“I know baby, but it smells so buttery.” I said putting popcorn in his mouth.

Mason and I looked at Leighton who was scoffing and rolling his eyes.

“Alright BABY! I’LL FEED IT TO YOU!” Mason said making Leighton stand up and walk away.

“What’s with him?” I asked shrugging.

“He’s jealous, his girlfriend isn’t a Nadine, he doesn’t have a Nadine.”  Mason said making my heart beat faster.

“So were you mad at me earlier? About the waiting thing?” Mason asked me sadly.

I shook my head looking into his puppy dog eyes.

“No, it was Leighton, he was acting like a total A$$.” I whispered loudly.

“Leighton doesn’t act.” Mason said. “He’s always like that, because he IS an A$$.” Mason said laughing.

I joined in too and then we both faced the tv screen and enjoyed the movie.

Mason put a handful of popcorn in my mouth and I laughed because I couldn’t even close my mouth or chew, because I had so much stuffed in my mouth.

Mason was laughing and trying to be quiet too which his laugh ended up sounding like a snake laugh, like a hissing laugh, which of course made me laugh harder and louder.

A person behind me kicked my seat really hard knocking me out of it.

I hit the ground and my head hit the floor.

The popcorn flew out of my mouth.

“Are you ok?” Mason asked jumping out of his seat and helping me up.

“Yeah, I think so.” I said standing up and holding onto my head.

“What the H***!” Mason yelled looking back at the person who kicked my seat.

“Mason, let’s just go.” I said.

Mason picked me up and walked out of the dark theatre carrying me the whole way.

We went outside and I set a blanket on the hood of the car and we laid down on it and looked up at the stars.

 Mason’s POV:

When I was carrying Nadine out of the theatre it reminded me of when Elaine was in labor and I carried her out of the grocery store, her water had broke, when we were in line paying for our groceries.

I carried her all the way to the car and when we got to the hospital I waited for so long and as soon as the doctors called me back I walked in there, and in slow motion I saw our baby, baby Ruth.

She was so perfect, she was beautiful.

My baby girl.

I picked her up and started crying.

I held her gently in my arms and rocked her it was the best day of my life.

“Mason?” Nadine asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yes?” I asked looking over at her.

“Are you ok?”  She asked softly.

I didn’t answer her for a minute and then a flashback of Elaine crept its way back in to my mind again.

“No.” I answered truthfully. “I have to tell you something.” I said getting off the car and standing up to face her.

She swallowed loudly.

“I lied to you, Nadine.” I admitted ashamed.

“What? About what?” She asked scared.

“Why I was looking at Elaine.”

“I knew you were checking her out!” She said softly. “Why would you lie about that?!” She asked confused.

“No, I wasn’t checking her out!” I said.

Her face turned red and she stomped towards me and punched me.

“Nadine, stop!” I said grabbing her arms.

“You’re lying to me again! Why should I?!?!?” She screamed.

“I had a kid with Elaine!” I said over her yelling.

She stopped and was frozen there.

She was quiet.

All she did was looked at the ground.

“That’s not even the worst part.”

When I said that she looked at me.

“I don’t love you Nadine.” I said looking down.

“What?” She asked, as her lip started quivering.

“When I left you a note on your kitchen table, I was leaving, I really was and there was something that kept me from leaving, I thought it was you…” I said. “It was really Elaine, I saw that when I was in the court room with her.”

“No!” She screamed kicking me.

I let go of her arms and she ran away.

Chasing after her I panted, struggling to catch up.

I liked her, I just didn’t love her.

She dropped to the ground after a while and was crying.

When I finally caught up to her she just sat there for about 5 minutes.

“We have to go now, my parents will be worried.” She said quietly.

I didn’t say anything to her, I didn’t dare, and she hated me right now anyway.

When we got to the car she got in the back seat and cradled her knees.

We just sat in the car for about 5 minutes.

“Nadine, I’m sorry.” I said finally.

“Just take me home.” She said under her breath.

I sighed and started the car.

Driving to her house it was silent all the way.

As soon as we arrived there she put her knees down and got out of the car.

It started to rain again.