The Time Of The Angels Pt. 2

The once sleek spaceship is a burning wreck sticking out of a rock-carved building.

"What caused it to crash?" Amy asks.

"Not me" River says.

"Nah, the airlock would've sealed seconds after you blew it. According to the Home Box, the warp engines had a phase shift. No survivors" {Y/N} says.

"A phase shift would have to be sabotage. I did warn them."

"About what?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, at least the building was empty. Aplan temple. Unoccupied for centuries" River says.

"Aren't you going to introduce us?" Amy asks.

"Amy Pond, Professor River Song" {Y/N} says.

"Ah, I'm going to be a Professor someday, am I? How exciting. Spoilers" River says smiling.

"Yeah, but who is she and how did she do that? She just left you two a note in a museum" Amy says.

"Two things always guaranteed to show up in a museum. The Home Box of category four starliner and sooner or later, these two. It's how he keeps score" River says.

"I know" Amy replies.

"It's hilarious, isn't it?" River asks.

"We're nobody's taxi service. We're not going to be there to catch you every time you feel like jumping out of a space ship" the Doctor says.

"And you are so wrong. There's one survivor. There's a thing in the belly of that ship that can't ever die. Now he's listening" River says, using her communicator "you lot in orbit yet? Yeah, I saw it land. I'm at the crash site. Try and home in on my signal. Doctor or {Y/N}, can you sonic me? I need to boost the signal so we can use it as a beacon" the Doctor turns away so {Y/N} does it.

"Ooo, {Y/N}, you soniced her" Amy chuckles, {Y/N} also chuckles.

"We have a minute. Shall we?" River gets out her TARDIS-style diary "where are we up to? Have we done the Bone Meadows?"

"What's the book?" Amy asks.

"Stay away from it" the Doctor says.

"What is it though?" Amy asks.

"Her diary" {Y/N} says.

"Our diary" River says pointing to {Y/N}, the Doctor and herself.

"Her past, mine and {Y/N}'s future. Time travel. We keep meeting in the wrong order" the Doctor says, four small tornadoes kick up the dust and turn into four soldiers.

"You promised me an army, Doctor Song."

"No, I promised you the equivalent of an army. This is the Doctor and {Y/N}."

"Father Octavian, Sir. Bishop, second class. Twenty clerics at my command. The troops are already in the drop ship and landing shortly. Doctor Song was helping us with a covert investigation. Has Doctor Song explained what we're dealing with?"

"Doctor, {Y/N}, what do you know of the Weeping Angels?"

*Time skip*

Night has fallen and the rest of the troops have arrived with their supplies in a small drop ship, like a container unit. They have set up camp around it.

"The Angel, as far as we know, is still trapped in the ship. Our mission is to get inside and neutralise it. We can't get through up top, we'd be too close to the drives. According to this, behind the cliff face there's a network of catacombs leading right up to the temple. We can blow through the base of the cliffs, get into the entrance chamber, then make our way up."

"Oh, good" the Doctor says.

"Good, sir?"

"Catacombs. Probably dark ones. Dark catacombs. Great" the Doctor says.

"Technically, I think it's called a maze of the dead."

"You can stop any time you like" the Doctor mutters.

"Father Octavian?"

"Excuse me, sir" Octavian leaves.

"You're letting people call you sir. You never do that. So, whatever a Weeping Angel is, it's really bad, yeah?" Amy asks.

"Now that's interesting. You're still here. Which part of wait in the TARDIS till I tell you it's safe was so confusing?" the Doctor says turning to Amy.

"Ooo, you are all Mister Grumpy Face today" Amy says.

"A Weeping Angel, Amy, is the deadliest, most powerful, most malevolent life form evolution has ever produced, and right now one of them is trapped inside that wreckage and me and {Y/N} are supposed to climb in after it with a screwdriver and a torch, and assuming we survive the radiation long enough and assuming the whole ship doesn't explode in our faces, do something incredibly clever which we haven't actually thought of yet. That's our day. That's what we're up to. Any questions?" the Doctor asks.

"Is River Song your wife? Because she's someone from your future, and the way she talks to you, I've never seen anyone do that. She's kind of like, you know, heel, boy. She's Mrs Doctor from the future, isn't she? Is she going to be your wife one day?" Amy asks, {Y/N} raises an eyebrow while the Doctor squints his eyes.

"Yes, you're right. I am definitely Mister Grumpy Face today" River calls from the drop module. She has changed into combat fatigues.

"Doctor! {Y/N}!"

"Oops. Her indoors" Amy says.

"Father Octavian" River says.

"Why do they call him Father?" Amy asks.

"He's their Bishop, they're his Clerics. It's the fifty first Century. The Church has moved on" {Y/N} says. A grainy image of a Weeping Angel with its back towards them is on a monitor on the far wall when they enter the room.

"What do you think? It's from the security cameras in the Byzantium vault. I ripped it when I was on board. Sorry about the quality. It's four seconds. I've put it on loop" River says.

"Yeah, it's an Angel. Hands covering its face" {Y/N} says tapping the screen.

"You've encountered the Angels before."

"Once, on Earth, a long time ago. But those were scavengers, barely surviving" the Doctor says shaking his head.

"But it's just a statue" Amy says.

"It's a statue when you see it" River says.

"Where did it come from?" {Y/N} asks.

"Oh, pulled from the ruins of Razbahan, end of last century. It's been in private hands ever since. Dormant all that time."

"There's a difference between dormant and patient" the Doctor says.

"What's that mean, it's a statue when you see it?" Amy says.

"The Weeping Angels can only move if they're unseen. So, legend has it" River says.

"No, it's not legend, it's a quantum lock. In the sight of any living creature the Angels literally cease to exist. They're just stone. The ultimate defence mechanism" the Doctor says.

"What, being a stone?"

"Being a stone until you turn your back" {Y/N} says.

---

~Bread 🍞