Chapter 16- When

Author's Note: Computer officially fixed! I haden't had my book saved on a flashdrive, oops. Enjoy the chapter! :D

  .                                                                                            .                                                                                               .

When Cora and I finally left the girls dormitory to meet everyone at the 'base', as the group liked to call it, I found my heart pounding in my chest with uncertainty and anticipation. I can't wait to see him! I mentally slapped myself at the excitement I was feeling over a boy. Emily Fryer does not fawn over anyone! Especially not over someone so out of my league! I heard a chucked next to me. Cora was staring at me and giggling. "What's so funny?" I questioned her laughter

"Are you blushing because your angry or nervous?" she said chuckling some more, I touched my cheeks and they were red hot.

I laughed dryly, "both." After some time of walking we reached the base. My heart immediately fluttered at Louis's stunning figure in the center of the classroom. His back was to me, and I could see the faint lines of his hard, toned muscles under his thin uniform shirt as he put his jacket on. Once again, I mentally slapped myself, and he turned to face me, beaming. His diamond blue eyes met mine and I sauntered over to him trying to calm my excited heart and mentally scolding myself for its excitement.

"Miss me yet?" he said a perfect eyebrow raised, God-damn it he was beautiful.

I scoffed, "You wish pretty boy."

"Oh, so you think I'm pretty?" he countered, I swear we could never just have a 'normal' conversation.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." I replied.

Before I could even blink, he had me pressed against the hard muscles of his chest. His lips were mere inches from my ear, "You would." He whispered, his breath fanning my ear, invoking a shiver that I struggled to suppress. I stood there, frozen, while he pulled away from me. I looked up at him, a wicked grin stretched across his face. He was toying with me, knowing the effect he had on me. I looked at my feet, feeling a deep blush set in. "Okay! Is everyone already paired for the night?" Louis said to the rest of the room. I looked up at him, my eyes were set on his and glaring. He looked content with himself for winning our little brawl. "Emily." He finally addressed me after a long moment of withstanding my glares.

I shifted my expression from glairing to wearing a false smile and batting my lashes, my voice rung cheerfully and slightly sarcastically, "Yes?"

"You will be assigned to patrol with Aiden and Ariana for the night." He said contently

"It would be my plesure." I smiled pointedly at him. I walked over to the odd paring, Aiden was sitting on top of one of the tables that stretched the length of the room. As he swung his legs contently, I couldn't help but notice his child-like demeanor. Next to him Ariana sat behind the table, in one of the seats, reading. Her film covered eyes quickly skimming the pages of the thick book she held.

With a final swing of his legs, Aiden hopped down from the table, "You ready to go?" he asked to our little group of three. Ariana shut her book and nodded.

"Yup." I replied simply and smiled.

"Okay then." Aiden said leading the way. It was strange having a mere child leading our group, but it didn't bother me too much. Aiden had a mature undertone countering his childish appearance, it was ironic really.

"So," Aiden said after a while of walking, breaking the silence of the night, "How ya' liking the guard so far? Any chance you'll join?"

I shrugged, "You guys are fun to hang with, I guess. However, temporarily being on the guard has somewhat thrown off my sleep- schedule." I laughed "And I've only been at school for three days. I haven't exactly adjusted to my situation yet, let alone tried to figure out this whole guard thing."

"Yeah, it was kind of hard for me too, when I was joining." Aiden said in affirmation.

"How so?" I questioned.

He shrugged, "I don't know. Adjusting to all the madness tends to happen at this school."

A look of confusion crossed my face because this school seemed normal so far, well except for the falling girl. And the exceptionally smart students. Oh, and you can maybe count the oddness of the guard members. The more I thought about it the more I realized that the events that had transpired here in just a few days, were more strange and frequent than I've seen in my lifetime.

Ariana, who was walking slightly in front of us stoppedsuddenly, breaking me from my thoughts. Her face had distorted into one ofconcern and confusion. As Aiden quickly left my side to reach her, I realizedthat something was very wrong. Ariana's glazed eyes were darting everywhere, asif she could see something that we could not, her mouth was agape, like shewanted to scream but couldn't. I did nothing but watch the scene in front of meunfold. Her eyes darted restlessly until they abruptly met mine, Aiden's gazeslowly followed hers until it met mine as well. After a long moment, Ariana's stareripped from mine and she turned to Aiden, whispering something into his ear. Aiden'seyes never left mine, as I watched his face contort from worry to fear. Helooked at Ariana and his lips formed a single question. 'When?'