Chapter 21

Michael's POV

     Today's the day of the trial. Brynn is beyond anxious. All of yesterday, she was beyond stressed. She had to collect a ton of papers, get her outfit ready, and set some stuff up. I wanted to go with her, but she said it would be too easy for people to take pictures of us together and share them with everyone. News stations are going to be swarming the place, and that's the last thing either of us need right now. 

     She's still getting ready, so I decided to face time the guys and Mason. She told me she'd knock before she walks in, so I can turn it off before she comes into the view of the camera or talks.

     "Chance!" I cheer as soon as his face pops up on my screen.

     "Michael!" he says the same way, his signature Chance smile spread across his face.

     "How's everything going over there?" I ask. He shrugs.

     "It's different without you here, but we're still kind of functioning. I could tell some people were upset at our meet and greet yesterday. Thank gosh you're flying back tomorrow," he informs me. I knew I had to miss some band stuff by coming out here, and I still feel guilty about it.

     "I'll have so much catching up to do," I sign, running a hand through my hair.

     "Is that my dad I hear?" I hear someone scream. The sound of tiny feet running down the stairs echoes until Mason appears on the screen.

     "Mason," I smile. He jumps up and down.

     "Dad! I miss you," he makes a little hand heart.

     "Someone's been spending too much time with Drew," I laugh, and he shrugs.

     "I can also do this," he spins before dropping down onto his knees. "Just like Chance."

     "This guy named Eliot came over here looking for you yesterday. I have no idea who he is," Chance tells me, completely changing the subject.

      "I don't know an Eliot," I respond honestly. He shrugs.

     "Beats me," he says. I look over at Mason.

     "Are you eating a dino nugget?" I ask, looking at him shoving a chicken dinosaur into his mouth. He nods.

     "I've also got some hi-chews like you," he pulls a ton of hi-chews out of the small backpack he is wearing on his back.

     "He told me he'd be the fill in Michael," Chance laughs. Mason nods.

     "Yeah," he mimics me, and Brady comes out of nowhere and high fives him.

     "Yeah," Brady copies him.

     "Yeah," Drew does the same thing from the other room.

     "Yeah," Sergio does it from somewhere upstairs.

     "Brady made me cry," Mason points at Brady, making his eyes widen.

     "He did," Chance laughs.

     "I was walking through the kitchen, and I tripped on this demented red train...," Brady starts.

     "Wilson," Mason corrects him.

     "...this demented red train...," Brady continues.

     "Excuse me, but Wilson is a proud trainee and chugger. He does not need these words of hate. He is already busy with his badge quests," Mason crosses his arms, glaring at Brady.

     "Fine, I tripped on Wilson and fell onto the table, spilling Mason's hot chocolate. He was not amused," Brady tells me, and I start laughing.