Chapter 1

My warm hands clenched the cold sink as I looked at myself in the mirror. 

My face is scratched and bruised and my nose and lip are bleeding.

I hate him! I wish I could hurt him like he hurt me! 

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"Toby?" My mother said. " You've been in there for a while are you okay?"

"I'm fine mom." I lied.

The door knob turned and the door swung open. My mom was standing in the door, her face filled with worry and confusion.

"What happened to your face?!" She says.

I debated between lying to her and telling her the truth, in the end truth won.

"I...I got into a fight..." I said, not looking directly at her.

"Did you win?"

Even though I was angry, that made me smile. Not many parents ask that.

"kinda. I ran away before they could finish me off." I said, My anger returned ready to burst, but I held it down as much as I could.

"Who did this to you?" She said, bringing me into a warm hug.

"Tyler." I said, forming a fist with my right hand.

"I'm calling your principal, in the morning." She replied, before kissing my forehead.

"You can't do that!" I said, pushing away from her.

"Why not!?"

"It'll only make things worse. Please mom, don't tell the principal." I said, looking her in the eyes so she knows I'm serious.

Her brown eyes studied my face. "Okay."

"Thank you."

I gave her another hug and left the bathroom.

****

I'm sitting on my bed in my room, looking out the window. The view out my window is beautiful and always calms me down. I love sunsets the most because of all the colors. The view I have has the sun setting behind a mountain.

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yes?" I ask

"Can I come in?"

"Sure." I say

The door opens and my mom enters the room.

She quietly sits down on my bed, next to me.

"Is there anything I can do to help you?" My mom asks.

"I don't know." I say, sadly.

"I know, you told me not to tell the principal about this but if you don't have any other plan than I'm going to call him tomorrow morning." 

"What if it makes it worse?"

"I'm going to do my beast to make sure he never hurts you again."

"How are you going to do that? You didn't even know I was being bullied until today!"

Her eyes started to water. "How long has this been going on for?"

I didn't want her to know how long it's been but I have to prove to her that she can't always protect me no matter how much she believes that she can.

"It's been 3 months."

Her mouth opened in surprise and tears ran down her face. "I'm so sorry!" She says, hugging me tight.

We were hugging for a solid five minutes, until mom decided it was enough and let go of me.

"I'm going to put you in Karate class and you are starting tomorrow." She says, wiping the tears from her face with her hand.

"What about school?"

"You are not going to school until you learn how to defend yourself."