Chapter Two - Nightmare (2/2)

Start from the beginning

"How is he?" Sara stood up to meet her.

"It's not bad at all. Nothing is broken; he'll be fine. I guess we should be more concerned about his mother." Ezria nodded toward their despondent friend.

"I don't know what else to do," Sara said. "I've tried to talk to her and comfort her, but she doesn't even seem to hear me."

"Let's start by getting her cleaned up. Do you have a garment she can wear?"

"I'm sure I can find something." Sara replied.

"Good, I'll fetch some water. We'll bathe and dress her, try to get her to drink some hot tea. I know a nice herb with a refreshing aroma and invigorating taste. I make it for myself sometimes when morning seems to come a bit too soon. Maybe then, she'll start to come around."

While Ezria and Sara gave Mary a sponge bath, they talked to her about rebuilding a home for her family. Ezria offered extra cooking utensils she could have. Sara would make some clothing for the family. They dressed her in one of Sara's nicest robes, then combed her hair and oiled her skin. They sat her at the table and offered Mary a cup of hot tea. At first, Ezria had to force her to drink, but soon Mary began to sip from the cup without Ezria's help. They continued to talk to Mary while enjoying their own tea, just as they have done many times before. Mary slowly became aware of her surroundings. Her eyes focused on Ezria and Sara. She looked around the room.

"Where am I?" she asked.

"You are at Sara's house. How do you feel?" Ezria reached out and held her hand.

Ezria and Sara exchanged glances as they watched Mary come back to life.

"Where are Mettal and my children?"

Her two friends smiled at her.

"Mettal is out cleaning up the wreckage. I suppose Benjamin and Cara are with him. Nahorim is asleep in the back. More importantly, how are you feeling?" Sara asked.

"Like I've been asleep for a long time—that I had a bad dream."

"No, I'm afraid, not. I wish it were but a dream." Ezria said. "Netiro attacked the village in the middle of the night. I'm sorry...your home was destroyed. Everyone had to jump from a window to escape the fire. Nahorim injured his leg but it's not too serious, nothing broken. He's in good spirits and will be up and around in no time. We're not going to dwell on the negative though. You and your family are safe, Mary. It could have been much worse."

"That's right," Sara added, "We should all count our blessings and give thanks to the Lord for sparing our lives. I was afraid you were lost to us forever. I've never seen anyone in such a condition before."

"I'm sorry for giving you such a fright. I suppose I should also thank the Lord for giving me such good friends. I'd hate to think what might have—

"Hush now, no need for all of that. You would have done the same for either of us. I'm just happy you are better. You certainly look much better," Ezria said, with a reassuring smile.

"How do you like the robe? You can keep it if you like. I can always make another one," Sara offered.

"Oh, it's lovely," Mary said, as she looked at the beautiful cloth. "You both are so kind. I, I don't..."

Sara reached across the table to pat Mary's hand.

"Ezria is right, Mary, you needed us and we were there for you. What kind of friends would we be if we didn't take care of each other?" Sara got up to get the kettle hanging above the fire. "Would anyone like some more tea?"

"Yes, just a little please," replied Mary.

"How about you Ezria, more tea?"

"I'll have one more cup. Then I suppose we'd better get to work."