Total Honesty

Considering the life that she lead, Toni thought she'd seen and heard it all but this...
"Okay. So that's...wow."
Toni said awed.
"I know! I'm a horrible person. I just...I love her. Have you ever been so in love with someone that it makes you crazy?" Cheryl asked.
"No...But I do get passion." Toni said.
"Really?" Cheryl asked. Toni nodded.
"And you're not a horrible person. Just really...really flawed." Toni said.
"That's...sweet?" Cheryl said.
Unsure of how to take it.
Toni chuckled.
"I know I do bad things but I swear I mean well! I just want them to love me back..." Cheryl said sadly.
"Them who?" Toni asked curiously.
"Everyone. Josie. The boys, girls...my mom...The only person who truly loved me was Jason and he's dead!" Cheryl fought the tears. She took a moment. "I've seen the way the boys look at me. Or don't, to be more accurate. They don't look twice at me. Archie was actually repulsed when I kissed him." Cheryl said.
Toni stopped her.
"You kissed Archie?! When? Why?" Toni asked shocked and appalled.
"Lapse in judgment. Anyway, as usual...no one wants me."
"Oh, Cheryl..." Toni said sympathetically. Touching her hand.
"Your hands are softer than they look." Cheryl said, looking down at where their hands touched.
"Sorry!" Toni pulled away, blushing.
"No! It's fine." Cheryl laughed. Actually laughed. A genuine laugh.
"Can I give you my honest opinion? No judgment intended?" Toni asked.
"Please." Cheryl gave her the floor.
"I think that beyond the prickly exterior, you're actually a really sweet person. You're outspoken__ which is an endearing trait but it comes across as...brash. And your big beautiful brain can be used for something other than plotting to terrorize people who hurt you." Toni gave her assessment.
"That was surprisingly astute. And somewhat...insulting. And sweet.
It's conflicting..." Cheryl said mulling over the words.
"It's what I do best. Actually, it's the second best thing I do but...moving on. You're obviously a sweet person with an real human soul...why are you so cruel to the people you love if that's not how you are?" Toni asked.
"If you met my harpy of a mother...you wouldn't have to ask." Cheryl said with a sad smile. Toni wanted the full story about Cheryl's clear mommy issues but before she had a chance to drag it out of her...
"Toni, we're looking to head out. You coming?" Jughead asked.
"In a minute." Toni said looking up.
"It's okay. Go with your friends. I feel a lot better." Cheryl said, meaning it.
"Are you sure?" Toni asked.
"Mm-hmm. Thank you. I should get home, anyway." Cheryl said slinging on her backpack.
"Back to your mom?" Toni asked.
"I know you probably wanna know about her. I'll tell you one day, just...not today, ChaCha." Cheryl said with a smile. A humorous nod to the day they met. Toni rolled her eyes.
"Goodnight, Cheryl." Toni said.
"Night, Toni." Cheryl said softly and touched her shoulder before she left.
"What the hell was that?! What did you two talk about so long?"
Jughead asked. Toni got this thoughtful smile on her face that B,V and Juggy didn't get. "Toni?"
"Nothing. Just girl talk." Toni said and walked toward the door. Leaving everyone with more questions than answers.