Greetings and Goodbyes

Orynth was different now. Perhaps not for everyone else, but for her. She was told of a princess who sacrificed herself for her people, a Lady who, even though she had a daughter and husband, gave her life for an eight year old girl, of a lover who she had not been able to save. Other things, too. The Wyrdkeys, who Maeve really was. She learnt how to use Wyrdmarks, read them. Speak their language. How to see what other people did not, how to remain unseen. 

There were other things, too. Aelin had insisted that they go to hear Stygian Suite, telling her of the conductor who had resisted. Who had been killed for it. The music was extraordinary. It was a celebration of life, triumphant and lifting. Afterwards, Aelin had offered her the music for the pianoforte. She, of course, agreed. She was stronger, now. Faster. A little sloppy from forgetting to practise at first, perhaps, but it didn't stop her from, finally, beating Aedion. Like Aelin, she favoured hunting knives, but could fight with any weapon. Or, alternatively, without them.

She was making a list, too, of the things she might change if she were queen. She had asked everyone in Orynth what they personally thought could be improved or changed. Some things, of course, were impossible, but most were not. Lord Darrow came over. He had scrutinised her until she asked, as politely as she could, what exactly he was staring at. He had shook his head slowly, then muttered (Probably in a voice he thought was too soft for her to hear), This one should do. He had seemed surprised when she asked why.

However, even with all of this, something was still missing. Eleri hadn't shown up. When she asked Aedion, he merely said that she was in Caraverre with Lysandra. And would not let her visit. Elentiya hoped she showed up soon; she only had a week left. A day passed. Then another. 

Where was Eleri? She was walking down to the kitchen for breakfast (they only dined formally if they had important guests staying; if they ate together, they ate out. This avoided sitting in the grand dining hall, but only occupying one end of the table, which always seemed very sad and lonely.), murmuring a song softly to herself. This seemed very unlike her. But then, a year had passed. Elentiya had changed, matured, so was it so unreasonable for Eleri to have as well?

Finally reaching the kitchen, she pushed open the door, sighing in the warm air. And - there was Eleri. The ran forward, both at the same time and hugged, crying and laughing.

"'Leri, you promised to visit!"

"I was busy! That's not my fault! Mother insists that I stay in Caraverre with my people, and for "Lady training" from Evie."

"Evie?"

"Evangeline. You know - she was in Eyllwe with - oh what's his name? Nehemia's brother. They're engaged!" They squealed, and spun around as they had when they were younger. "Come on! I feel like shopping!"

"'Leri, much as you know I love shopping, I also love breakfast."

"Come on! We can get something while we're out! Anyway, you're literally like Aelin with shopping."

"True as that is, I still want food."

"Oh, come on!"

Five days later, they had to say goodbye. This time, Elentiya felt tears prickle in her eyes. She had forgotten so much about Eleri, pushed her from her mind to prevent grief. Now, though, she wanted to commit as much of her as possible to memory. Strangely, Eleri did not seem as sad as she should have been.

"'Leri..."

"Yes, 'Tiya?"

"Why are you smiling? Isn't this meant to be sad?" She had said goodbye to Aelin and Rowan an hour earlier.

"Well it would be if I weren't coming with you."

"What?!"

"That's why I was spending so much time in Caraverre, so I could come."

"WHAT?!"

"I said, "I -""

"I heard you, but why did you not tell me?"

"Other than the fact that I wanted to do it like this..."

"Oh, of course you did! Thank you, Eleri. Thank you so much."