Rowan!!!

Rowan hadn't realised it was his daughter when he started speaking. He had assumed that, though unlikely, there was someone in Mistward with power similar to his. That Aelin had chosen to practice with them. He hadn't really absorbed that he had a daughter. Stepping into the clearing, though, he instantly knew. Not because of her silver hair, or because she had Aelin's eyes. But because of her scars, the ones that marked marked her out as a survivor. As their daughter.

He had assumed at first  that her power was not strong, but now, looking at her, well... She was young - not even ten - and that was probably the first time she had actually used her magic like that. She was going to be at least as powerful as Rowan, and if she had inherited Aelin's fire too... gods. She bowed to him. Maeve had made her bow to her. To her warriors. Despite the bow, she was backing away. Did she think he was taking her back to Maeve? 

"I'm not from Maeve." She flinched at the name. He was going to continue, but Aelin squeaked. How had he forgotten about her? Melting the ice, he held her as she leaped at him, her scent washing over him. His Fireheart.
"Also, do not bow to me." He said.

...

Elentiya supposed the warrior really wasn't from Auntie Maeve.
If he were, he wouldn't have freed Aelin. This could all be an elaborate plot from Auntie Maeve, though. Although Elentiya doubted she would waste the time and effort. She hadn't known not to bow. These new people had strange rules. She would have ask, but now was not the time. She wanted to ask his name, but knew she must not speak unless spoken to. Was this her father? Probably, considering the way she clung to him. Did that make it fine to talk to him?
"Excuse me, what's your name?" Polite, pleasing.
"Rowan. Are you always so polite?" Did he not want her to be?
"Yes?" Rowan sighed sadly.
"I hate the way Maeve has extinguished... well, you. Please talk to me the way you would to yourself."
"It isn't Auntie Maeve's fault." Elentiya didn't know why she was defending her.
"Never call her "Auntie" again. It is her fault."

...
Rowan wasn't sure how to act around Elentiya. He'd never had much patience with children and so had avoided them, but Elentiya was his child. How should he treat her? She was young, but had survived Maeve - either by stregnth or skill or just sheer willpower. That alone was to be admired. Maeve wpuld have tried to break her wherever possible. Yes, she had scars, but she had survived. She still had life in her eyes, however subdued it may be.

Despite all that, she was still a child. Had Rowan been too frank? Should he be kinder? Hug her?
What should I do? I'm no good at this.
You're awful at it. Just be natural.
How?
Ask her name.
Okay. He could do that.
"What's your name?" She smiled, clearly pleased.
"Elentiya." Oh. That was why. Maeve hadn't given her a name.