What if...

Riki was terrified going in for the one lesson she shared with Elentiya. It was the first time she'd seen her since The Incident, and was determined to ignore her. Elentiya was early, sitting at the front desk (This was a theory class), as usual. On both accounts. Riki was expecting to be ignored, but instead, Elentiya turned as she walked in, smiled as if she was truly glad to see her, and patted the usually vacant seat beside her. Panic bubbling up inside her, Riki took it cautiously, but was determined to apologise. 

"About what happened - I'm so sorry - I didn't mean to - I would never usually - it was wrong of me."

Elentiya turned her face - those Ashryver eyes and the stunning silver hair - towards her. And smiled. It was breath taking.

"Am I still invited to the dancing?"

"Of course. If you want to."

"I'd love to."

...

Elentiya had nervous bubbles rising from her stomach up her throat. She had asked Riki to meet her in the library - not in their usual spot,but deep inside. Nousha (the grumpy librarian, who seemed to have a soft spot for Elentiya) had shown her a spot further within, a cul de sac of sorts created by the bookshelves, creating a warm, cosy space. Nousha had also turned a blind eye as she smuggled food and chocolate and even helped by giving her candles. 

She had placed a blanket down on the floor, and spread the food out like a picnic, balancing the candles on bookshelves, after promising Nousha that she would make sure nothing was damaged by fire. She also made little fire flowers, and spread them out on the blanket, too. And little lights to float in the air. She herself was wearing a dress of glimmering spider silk (stolen by Aelin from Manon for a birthday - Rowan had choked when he saw it. Choked, then yelled at her for being so stupid.), the lights reflecting off of the pale silver - nearly white - material. It was of a simple design, but well made, and hugged her hips before pooling out around the floor. Five minutes to go...

...

Riki was unsure - not anxious. Not scared. But unsure  - of what would happen. She had worn a dress of Terrasen green. Partly for Elentiya, partly to bring out her eyes. It was satiny and she was aware as she walked down the staircase that it was much finer than what the other girls were wearing - what she normally wore. Dresses like this were impractical. She hoped she wasn't overdressed. What if she had misunderstood the situation? Gods - it sounded like a date, but what if it wasn't? What if it was? She wasn't sure what scared her more.

The library stood ahead, and she drew a breath before entering. Nousha, surprisingly, looked up, and lead her deep into the library. What was going on? Why was she being so nice? Silently, she pointed to an opening, golden light spilling out. Then left. So.... go in? She could still leave. Pretend it never happened, ask to be moved from classes with Elentiya. Or step in. See what happened. She would have stood there all night, but Elentiya stepped out. She looked- amazing. 

"Are you going to come in, or would you prefer to stand there all night?" Her eyes sparkled with amusement.

"How did you know I was there?" She didn't particularly care. It was just something to ask. To keep herself from staring.

"I can hear your heartbeat, your breathing. I sense you, too. I don't quite know how - other healers can't, but I can."

"Well - I can't!" It was meant as a joke, but ended up half-hearted. 

"I know. Remember when I surprised you like that? In the restaurant?"

"I didn't think you were paying attention."

"Oh, I was. Now are you going to come in, or are we going to stand here all night?" Riki snorted, but moved toward the opening. And - it was beautiful. Breathtaking. Almost as much so as the girl next to her.

"Thank you. No one's ever cared enough to do anything like this for me."

"I used to feel like that, too. I used to think that I didn't deserve anyone to care, pay attention. Maeve, you see, didn't name me. I think most people believe that Aelin just renamed me, but no. She told me I was worthless, a nameless half-breed. Not good enough. Not enough. I'm still scared I'm not. But no one should be made to feel like that. Everyone should have someone who cares."

"Are you offering?"

"That depends on whether or not you want me to."

"You have to ask?"

"Gods - is that a no?"

"No. Yes. I hate negative questions." Elentiya laughed.

"Me too."

"I do want you to."

"I was scared then." Then Elentiya leaned forwards, and kissed her. Lightly - hesitantly. Then pulled away. "And call me 'Tiya."